The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Boxford back from the dead

<< < (22/23) > >>

kayzed1:
Ade, if you want to come across to Holywell you can use my R-Tec 160 ( same as the one tested by Doubleboost ) on his site..
BUT: you will have to set it up.. as i have not even looked at it yet. I have all the bits of kit to get started just that i have not had the get up and go to get up and go...Yet.
Lyn.

AdeV:
Hi Lyn,

That's an extremely kind offer, thanks! I might just take you up on that (but I've got to get the Jaaag back on the road first - need brakes!).

Interestingly, I seem to have got a bit more of a hang of the big old Murex... I think putting a smaller tungsten in and dialling the power back is helping. But what with the superglue, the muck down in the cracks, a pretty porus casting with years of junk in it... I think just burning my way through it (and me... note to self - get long sleeved shirt for TIG welding!) is starting to work. Although I did manage to blow a big gob out of one of the top mounts the other week. That'll be interesting to rebuild... lucky I've got lots of filler rod...

I'm embarrased to show them, really, but attached are some photos of where we're up to so far with the headstock foot. It's a mess, it's going to need a LOT of sanding back and re-shaping before it's done, and I'll probably end up using a load of bondo/filler on it as well, once I've finished welding up all the cracks. Praise the lord for flap wheels on grinders, is all I can say!

vintageandclassicrepairs:
Hi Ade
Old castings need serious degreasing before trying to weld them
Its a bit pot luck as to what method works best, ?
I have used "Marine Clean" in a big container and heated it on the barbecue to degrease some vintage oil soaked bike casings
A go in the dishwasher can help too but I have found that the "eco friendly" modern dishwasher tablets are not a patch on ones I used 5 or 6 years ago  :(

John

hermetic:
My first attempt at aluminium Tig welding was only a few weeks ago, converting my forge to underfan so it would go a foot nearer the wall. I managed to do it, but the casting which I was welding to a piece of ally plate was the elbow from an old gas balanced flue, and it oozed black goo all the time! got it done, but next time it will get a thorough degrease before I attempt it! My Tig is an old Interlass ac/dc from the early 80's, so no foot pedal either. :lol:

AdeV:
It's been a while since I did anything with the old Boxford... but it's not forgotten! Even if I can't remember where all the bits are right now...

Anyway, one of the things I wanted to do was degrease the headstock and remove the front bearing cup. I'd tried drifting it out with my punch and a hammer, but it wasn't going anywhere fast, and merely mushroomed the end of my punch.  :bang:

So... taking advantage of a bit of workshop time, I turned up a couple of pins, put the headstock on a pair of parallels in the 1 ton press, and pushed it out that way. Easy peasy.

Pic 105: The setup, just before I pressed the cup out
Pic 106: The bits needed, including a couple of short (too short!) pins which at least proved the concept.

Degreasing the headstock was a nightmare, I'm using a Clarke parts washer, with Clarke parts washer fluid, which is worse than washing up liquid I reckon. I'm going to order some more beefy stuff... however, being impatient, I put the headstock in the dishwasher instead (wife's not here, y'see  :palm:). Worked OK, there's a smidge of grease left around some of the corners where the bearings sit, but since those parts aren't getting painted, it's no problem. I intend to paint strip the headstock, sand it back flat, bondo any holes (if any) that aren't supposed to be there, then re-paint.  I've got a few other bits and pieces arriving in the post this week which will - hopefully - persuade me to get moving on this project again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version