Author Topic: Tidying Up An Analoy 1401 Alloy Analyser  (Read 12732 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Tidying Up An Analoy 1401 Alloy Analyser
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2021, 08:41:28 AM »
Major step forwards today. I have received an email from Arun Technology attaching PDF's of the full service manual for the Analoy 1401 complete with full circuit diagrams and blow by blow account of it's workings.

Far too large to upload here but I've put it all in the same Dropbox folder that I put the bits that Steve sorted out so here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/heimzy8kohwzjda/AAAfKloCUFZG_Zixewy7z43Ha?dl=0

I'd be grateful if someone can check that they can be uploaded by 'anyone' as of course Dropbox logs me in as soon as I go to the URL
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Muzzerboy

• The Mighty Shiz
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2021, 10:32:17 AM »
Yes they work for me. Look pretty useful - far better than just a set of schematics.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2021, 10:58:18 AM »
Thanks Murray - much appreciated.

Now I need time to absorb the not inconsiderable amount of information in those PDF's, but currently stuck on the Ceramic Chip Forge !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2021, 09:12:32 AM »
Phil Fern kindly pointed me to some graphite rods on Aliexpress a few days back, and I got the delivery of '3mm*100mm High Purity Carbon Graphite Rod Bar For Electrodes' the other day and at last have found time to try them out.

THEY WORK

So thanks Phil for that pointer - I made up an electrode simply by using my '3 mm pencil sharpener' and shearing off the rod at the correct length, and blow me down it correctly identified an ingot as LM2 which indeed it is  :ddb:

This now assures a long term supply of electrodes - I bought 26 rods 100 mm long so should last a little while - and confirms Steve's suspecion that they needed to be pure graphite.

I've still not returned to the second (now dead) Analoy 1401, but with the book of words fault finding should be a lot easier.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 02:13:02 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline philf

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2021, 10:08:55 AM »
That's good news Andrew - glad to be of help.

I've been impressed on how quickly parts can arrive from China - usually a month earlier than they quote.

I received a set of ER16 collets and collet chuck earlier this week for my tapping stand. £15.72 inc postage (& VAT!). The only problem with them is that the 3mm collet is, despite the marking, in fact a 2mm and conveying that to the seller is proving difficult. I have sent a photo with a 2mm drill in the collet and with my digital (mechanical) micrometer displaying 1.97 and another photo with a 2.2mm drill not in the collet showing 2.17 - hopefully that will get the message over.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2021, 12:23:23 PM »
Well the good news continues: Another email from the contact at Arun (the makers of the Analoy 1401) saying that he's been talking to their Service Engineer who tells him that they have a box of spares and components still in their stores and would I like come come and rummage through them.

Is the Pope a Catholic  :clap:

AND by the way they have more modern Spectrometers that they no longer sell, make or service and also have loads of components to make them and are they of any interest . . . well yes you  bet

A 'post lockdown' trip coming up I can see  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2021, 01:46:28 PM »
I think you mean, is a bullfrog waterproof?

:drool:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline mattinker

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2021, 03:09:16 PM »
Well the good news continues: Another email from the contact at Arun (the makers of the Analoy 1401) saying that he's been talking to their Service Engineer who tells him that they have a box of spares and components still in their stores and would I like come come and rummage through them.

Is the Pope a Catholic  :clap:

AND by the way they have more modern Spectrometers that they no longer sell, make or service and also have loads of components to make them and are they of any interest . . . well yes you  bet

A 'post lockdown' trip coming up I can see  :thumbup:

That's going to be fun!!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2021, 12:28:13 PM »
Well today I ventured out on the longest journey that I've been on for 12 months of Covid incarceration. I went to Manor Royal near Gatwick to see Arun Technology at the invitation of their Finance Manager as previously mentioned.

A nice office / light Industrial Unit on the Brunel estate, all very neat and tidy with just four people working there ! It seems that they have moved on to marketing an analyser machine covering all major metals using UV diffraction. They had designed it, the majority of customers were in China, and the biggest customer has bought them, so they are now Chinese owned.

None of them had seen an Analoy 1401 'in the flesh' - only pictures of the outside. I was able to log on to Madmodder from their offices and show them what their predecessors had made including the whole thing dismantled.

They found it rather strange that an outsider was able to look inside their newest machine and postulate (correctly!) how it worked. Incidentally it's huge, over 100 kg, and not at all portable like my version.

Sadly they had absolutely nothing in their pile of old bits that pertained to my machine. I was hoping but not expecting, that they would have a spare umbilical cord, but no nothing of the sort so I'll have to fabricate one.

So was it a waste of time visiting - no not at all - they were very nice welcoming people, and their current product was very interesting to explore, and I was able to properly thank them for digging through their archives as finding the Service Manual which will in the future I'm sure be very useful.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:08:44 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline wellsyno6@icloud.com

« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2021, 06:10:28 AM »
Major step forwards today. I have received an email from Arun Technology attaching PDF's of the full service manual for the Analoy 1401 complete with full circuit diagrams and blow by blow account of it's workings.

Far too large to upload here but I've put it all in the same Dropbox folder that I put the bits that Steve sorted out so here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/heimzy8kohwzjda/AAAfKloCUFZG_Zixewy7z43Ha?dl=0

Hi I have recently purchased some items from a tool auction and amongst it is and Analoy 1401 I wondered if you could advise me if they are worth anything at all please?

I'd be grateful if someone can check that they can be uploaded by 'anyone' as of course Dropbox logs me in as soon as I go to the URL

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2021, 06:29:32 AM »
I'm guessing Dropbox retires files after a period, but all the files still show for me on Dropbox.

No doubt your 1401 would be very useful to the right person. You're not far away, pop over and take a CD copy if you like.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex