Author Topic: Making a Silicone Soldering Brush  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Jim Dobson

Making a Silicone Soldering Brush
« on: May 31, 2019, 01:41:57 AM »
How to make a silicone soldering brush.
You won't believe just how well these work. I wished I'd had one of these years ago. No more burnt small paintbrushes and you can custom make any size of these you wanted, thick bristles, thin bristles, solid etc etc
A great bit of kit!

Offline Ironhorse57

Re: Making a Silicone Soldering Brush
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 01:34:36 PM »
Nice one Jim, great tip!

Dave

Offline Jim Dobson

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 04:45:25 PM »
G'day Dave!!!

They work great mate!

Offline Muzzerboy

• The Mighty Shiz
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »
Nice idea! For bigger work, you can buy silicone rubber brushes in kitchen and BBQ shops. Never thought of using them for soldering.

Offline timby

Offline Jim Dobson

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 05:14:09 PM »
Nice idea! For bigger work, you can buy silicone rubber brushes in kitchen and BBQ shops. Never thought of using them for soldering.

I've tried cooks brushes before but the bristles for soldering (at least for me) were either too long or too thick. Though they are what I use for spreading wood glue around whilst woodworking (brilliant for this).

Over the years for solder I've used as I mentioned in the video countless small artists brushes that I have ruined, hessian sack, wet rags and stainless steel brushes, but nothing has ever worked as easy as these DIY silicone brushes.

I haven't tried them out for silver brazing/soldering yet, I'm thinking that the silicone wouldn't be able to stand brazing temps?

Offline Jim Dobson