Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

David Goodfellows - Brassy Babe: My first engine build.

(1/5) > >>

raynerd:
Hello

I didn`t want to start this thread until I had something to show you. My other projects are on hold, waiting for funds for my Shumatech DRO and awaiting the belts for my X2 drive conversion. I decided to make a start on my first engine build. I did quite a bit of research and it was a resounding answer that a wobbler is a nice first timer. There were quite a few free plans online, I found Dave Goodfellows - Brassy Babe a nice looking engine but with the main thing being that he also has quite a significant write up with comments to help the build.

http://www.davegoodfellow.com/plans.pdf

I have been working on it since Sunday evening and I was pleased that I could join a few bits together this evening and get some motion. It seems to turn OK. Obviously I presume it is a whole different ball game getting it to run under pressure but I`m pleased that I have got something that moves!! I`m also getting more confident with the mill which I haven`t really used all that much.

I made it all from scraps that I have been accumulating over time, the majority is made from brass or ally. I picked these plans due to the explanation but closer inspection would actually reveal that he is often lacking in dimensions! That was an issue, but it has also made me think about it and add to the challenge. I suppose I`m getting carried away, it isn`t really running yet, I was just thrilled to get it fastened together and it sync up and move!

Next step is to counter sink the screw hole and find a suitable spring to apply the pressure on the cylinder. I will then finish the frame and locate the remaining holes. Then I need to lap all surfaces as, especially the front running surface - I may even try and mill it. Then finally onto the flywheel.

Chris

cedge:
Chris
It wasn't long ago (last year) that I was exactly where you are, right now. The mill was a stranger and dimensions were "targets" I seldom managed to really hit. It all taught me to think my way through a project, before, during and after the metal torturing began. Enjoy the feeling of accomplishment and share it with us. We are the people who's eyes don't glaze over when you describe how you do it....(grin). As a bonus, we get to enjoy the feeling we've all felt, all over again.   :beer:

Steve

sbwhart:
Way to go Chris just you wait until you get it running:- grin from ear to ear.  :D :D :thumbup:

Stew

Stilldrillin:
Looking good Chris.  :wave:

Good luck!  :thumbup:

David D

sbwhart:
 and find a suitable spring to apply the pressure on the cylinder.

Chris  a ball point pen is a good place to start, I'm shure you've got plenty of them  :lol:

Stew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version