Author Topic: Clock stopped  (Read 6290 times)

Offline kayzed1

Clock stopped
« on: April 07, 2019, 07:02:48 AM »
Good day all, a little help is required if at all possible.
Pat has a Grand Mother clock that has worked faultlessly for 40 years, last week is stopped..
So where and what apart from broken springs ( can not see one broken ) do i look for please?
O! it is a wind up clock not electronic type, i do not have a clue where to start as i do not have
even a watch myself..
Lyn.

Offline Jo

Re: Clock stopped
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 07:37:38 AM »
If you swing the pendulum does it tick over? Or is the mechanism jammed? Has someone recently wound it up?

Clocks should be carefully lubricated at regular intervals and this does not mean squirting WD40 on them   :wack:

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 07:55:23 AM »
It had stopped so Pat did wind it up, she is not heavy handed as it is her clock and she is the only one to wind it..Yes if you swing the pendulum it does run for a few mins then stops.. What oil does one use for this?
Lyn.

Offline Jo

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 08:34:38 AM »
Sounds like it is doing the same as my Grandfather sulking with the change of seasons. Looking at the second hand when it stops is it always at the same position? If so you might have a spider or something having decided to commit suicide on one of the wheels. A quick clean round them with a cotton bud may help.

I lubricate mine with a cocktail stick and sewing machine oil. You need very little oil - too much attracts dust.   

Jo

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 12:06:15 PM »
Thanks Jo i think i can do that. Just had a thought :coffee: i get the odd one...it has weights not a springy thingy, will that make much difference do you think?
As said my knowledge of time machines is a big 0, i do not even own a watch...
Lyn.

Offline Jo

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 12:45:14 PM »
Leave the weights alone they are correct for the clock mechanism. It doesn't take much dirt to cause a bit of friction and to cause it to stop.

Jo

P.S. It can get a bit exciting when the catgut holding the weights breaks in the small hours of the morning   :palm:

Offline chipenter

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 01:51:15 PM »
Only oil the journals and the escapement not the teeth .
Jeff

Offline hermetic

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 02:26:46 PM »
I knew a "clockie" who swore by putting the movement to boil on a stove in a pan of soapy water, and you should see the muck that comes out! I suppose  todays equivalent would be an ultra sonic cleaner, and then carfully examine the side plates for any wear at the pivots, if they all look reasonable, all well and good, carefully and minimally oil the pivots and the spring (if it has one) and then set it op on a bench and run it. As said above, usually dust and gummed up oil that stops them, but if there are worn pivot holes, they can be bushed.
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 02:13:32 PM »
Thank you one and all, oil was bought today, tomorrow i go out on the motorcycle to meet up with a mate..
So looks as if it will be Wednesday now, i will post back when cleaned and oiled...
Lyn.

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 07:35:39 PM »
Sorry all i forgot about this after i had had my Operation..
A good (gentle) clean and a lube job did the trick..took about 5 days for the chimes to get back into sync thou..
Many thanks all.
Lyn.