The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Toolset 140 Tool Setter Re-purposed

<< < (4/4)

awemawson:
Thanks Pekka.

I've not dismantled the probe end at all - I'm guessing that the carbide square bit is spring mounted with it's shaft at 45 degrees to X & Z and bearing on the dial gauge. Although there is no problem calibrating it's dial accurately for this angle, it is after all only used to find a zero point rather than itself being used as the calibrated measure. The X & Z scales (which I assume are glass) do the accurate bit.

PekkaNF:
Thank you Andrew

You are right - of course - when zeroed, cosine error does not matter. I was thinking that in production environment there is usually a tolerance and if same (type) of zero setting device is used all over, it does not matter much, but it might get bit more confusing of multiple different devices or QC is used.

This is all very interesting.

awemawson:
Late start getting back to this today. Our Electric front gate packed up with visitors on the wrong side :bang: Controller reporting Amp#1 fault and Encoder #1 faults - the amplifier is the main motor driver and the encoder is on the motor. A lot of faffing about revealed a motor start capacitor  that should be 9 uF actually 95 nF. Jury rigged an 8 uF that I had in  stock - too large to fit, gaffa tape and ty-wraps held it. Motor has been grunting for a while and I've been looking for a used spare but none appeared. Whole new actuator ordered £384-40  :bugeye: :bang: :bugeye:

(Originally fitted in January 2013 and has opened and closed 28,495 times !!!!)

So back to the Toolsetter !

Loading up my #1 tool and holder from the Beaver lathe and measuring it was SO easy  :thumbup:

I carefully measured it, then returned it to the lathe and measured it using the machines  Renishaw HPA setter:

Toolset 140     X = 107.165  Z = 54.417

Renishaw HPA  X = 107.194 Z = 54.394

So I conclude the the co-ordinates that I have for the HPA probe are marginally out

To-date I've been adjusting Tool Offsets to achieve accuracy but now hopefully I can tweak the parameters that are the HPA co-ordinates so that it GIVES me accuracy. Well one can but hope  :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version