The Shop > Metal Stuff

Cast iron Sash window weights

(1/2) > >>

appletree:
Has anybody found sash window weight a useful source of  Cast Iron? Or are they too varied with hard spots to be usable?

I have just been given a dozen

Phil

Mike E.:
They make great weights for bottom fishing off shore, Seriously, they seem to drop to the bottom faster and I would be reeling up fish while others on the boat were still peeling out line, less tangles for me as well.

Pete.:
I brought four home from work, two smaller and two larger. There wan't a whole lot of difference between the sizes I think the larger ones were maybe 30% bigger but the two small ones were unmachinable and the two larger machined quite nicely. I've made quite a few bits and bobs from them.

Bottom line - it's a lottery. Depends on how quickly they were chilled I guess.

kayzed1:
I do not have a lot of experience in these things, but i do have some that came from a Very old house. One or two that are 4 feet long most round but again three or four that are square. All machine very well and not come across any hard spots ...YET!
Lyn. 

awemawson:
You can always soften them again, heat to white hot and cool slowly.

Here's a large square one glowing nicely in my 100 kw induction furnace when I had it set up back in  2007

(just had to manually ramp down the power setting so it cooled slowly rather like you would with a pottery kiln to avoid cracking, which was easy as it's a  big knob on the control panel!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version