The Shop > Software Tools

Data Recovery from BIG hard drives!?!?

<< < (2/2)

Pete W.:

--- Quote from: mc on February 05, 2019, 04:04:38 PM ---Why can't you take the drive out the enclosure?

Any USB drives I've had, are simply SATA drives in a box with an interface.

--- End quote ---

In answer to your question: our approach has been to proceed cautiously and with the minimum invasion of a drive that is not our property.  I concede that formatting the drive and then running two different recovery packages might not be considered to fit with that!!!  (The two recovery packages we have tried both require that the drive (or the partition) is formatted before they will run.)

In response to your comment about drives in enclosures: that was, until recently, my experience and similarly before that with PATA drives.  However, we recently had a Western Digital 'Passport' drive through our hands.  They are built with the USB interface integral with the drive.  Also, WD make a drive intended for use with the Raspberry Pi that I also believe has its connection with the outside world integral with the drive electronics.  (I make that statement on the basis of studying WD's advertisements - I haven't actually held such a drive in my hands.)   

mc:
I did wonder if somebody had managed to safe a few pence by integrating things even more.

John Swift:
yes
Western Digital "my pasport"

john

hermetic:
Hi, in olden days we used to install another drive with a clean copy of windoze whatever, set the damaged drive as a slave, then access it from the new master drive, and get at the data that way, much quicker, but it does not get you into damaged files. Dont know if this applies with sata drives, and of course if the drive r/w heads or mechanism is damaged, yer stuffed. It is possible to change the drive board, but it must be absolutely identical to the one on the drive! We are advancing fast into the digital dark ages, I was considering all the photos of my workshop refurbish, 7 years worth, which would be lost if my 3Tb drive went "up the pictures"!

seadog:
This is the problem nowadays with the amount of data it's possible to need to store. I've just mirrored my system drive and keep the rest of my files on a RAID 1 NAS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version