Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Short QC Biltz type tapping chuck

<< < (2/5) > >>

PekkaNF:
I checked some products, could not find what I needed...then checked my stock and tools. Looks like only tool I need is an 5 mm (r 2,5 mm) profiling tool or grooving tool. Apparently not the most usual insert/holder dimenssion - not exremely rare, but not the most common either.

I have ONE 5 mm solid carbide cutter I could chop and braze on a shank. Is this a idea?

Pekka

awemawson:
Seems a shame to sacrifice a carbide mill.

Have you no bits of silver steel that you could turn a 5 mm end on, mill off half and then harden ?

PekkaNF:
Could try that, but that means swapping the material softer (like 42CrMo, I probably have one rusty bar marked with blue tape - my way of marking known materials).

Maybe I could plunge mill 5 mm hole (pocket) 10 mm deep to end of flat steel, mill extras of and braze silver steel plug there. Sort of make pocket for cuting bit - I have to draw it into scale....if I put that "rod" upright, it would have perfectly round projection (cutting face)....should be long enough to allow clearances 20 mm OD turn piece to plunge cut....Might even work good enough if tilted forward few degrees - projection error probably still would good enough. Can't take too agressive cut with this sort of form tool.

Today I'm trying to find some ready made parts and if it does not work I'll start this build.

Pekka

PekkaNF:
Took few shotrcuts with this tool and so far good progress (very litle time innvested).

But weird thing happened: I was cutting off 10 mm long piece of the 5 mm dia carbide and it just snapped.

I had the round tngsten carbide mill shank rotating on the lathe few hundred rpm and decided to cut it with cout out blade. 3M 1 mm wide cubtron ussually cuts anything clean, but it was a little hesitant on this one. Suddenly the TC rod just snapped.

Last picture is mock up where the TC rod is form tool, but need to decide how to grind it. I was thinkking of using diamond hone manually, but that rounded edge set the idea back a little.

Pekka

awemawson:
Thermal stress probably.

We used to make containers out of milk bottles that way. Fill with oil to the level you need the break, then plunge a red hot poker in the oil. The hot surface layer of the oil snapped the glass bottle at the right place as it was much hotter than the body of the bottle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version