Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Short QC Biltz type tapping chuck

<< < (3/5) > >>

PekkaNF:

--- Quote from: awemawson on February 10, 2019, 08:11:14 AM ---Thermal stress probably.
--- End quote ---

You are probably right.

--- Quote from: awemawson on February 10, 2019, 08:11:14 AM ---We used to make containers out of milk bottles that way. Fill with oil to the level you need the break, then plunge a red hot poker in the oil. The hot surface layer of the oil snapped the glass bottle at the right place as it was much hotter than the body of the bottle.

--- End quote ---

That's faster than scoring, heating and plunging into cold water....success rate was not spectacular. How about your method?

awemawson:
Worked very well so long as the bottle was reasonably even walled. I doubt it would work so well on the modern titanised glass bottles.

PekkaNF:
form tool and test

PekkaNF:
And some results. QC drill chuck mounts and releases.

First step.

PekkaNF:
Next thing would be to make a short QC holder for these adapters.

I think I have figured out how this ball-lock works - appears that the balls are used to pretension the adapter "out" to keep adapter seated.

The original holder has some extensive travel in/out. Shorter holder has less space for it and when used manually on mill/drill pinole on drilling mode (against the spring pressure).

I think that a little provision for spring cushioned travel inwards would be a good thing. Or maybe a thick O-ring?

Any pointers here?

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version