Author Topic: Colchester student Mk1  (Read 2412 times)

Offline hermetic

Colchester student Mk1
« on: December 28, 2018, 11:01:48 AM »
Hi all, the rack pinion on My mk1 student is worn (not unusual, and I am thinking of getting another one of a breaker, which will no doubt be just as worn, and then turning the gear off and fitting a generic replacement gear. it is part number 7807-rack pinion 12T in the manual (assuming it is the same one as the mk1.5 which the manual shows) Anyone know off hand what the DP is, without me stripping the apron (again)
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Colchester student Mk1
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 11:40:47 AM »
My first ever lathe was a Mk1 Student, and the rack was worn at the chuck end. I reversed it end for end by drilling new holes for the dowels.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

Re: Colchester student Mk1
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 12:16:25 PM »
they are well made tools! the rack on mine aint too bad, but that is a good idea Andrew. Also considered putting some washers or shims behind the rack to pack it down a bit, but the majority of the wear is in the pinion. Damn, you have got me thinking about it now! I will have to strip it again anyway, and I will check the rack more carefully, which I can also do by winding towards the tailstock end and checking the play there, may even be possible to shim it at the headstock end if it is most worn there! I have been to the workshop today, and I am feeling a bit bereft...................a very good mate of mine wanted to borrow his engine crane back! Selfish I call it!!
Phil.
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?