The Craftmans Shop > Backyard Ballistics

Gifts for relatives

(1/3) > >>

ddmckee54:
Last year I made 3D printed fidget spinners for the nieces/nephews/great-nieces/great-nephews/whoever, this year I'm stepping it up a notch.  This year I'm going to arm them with rubber band guns.  I mean EVERYBODY needs to be able to defend themselves from the younger sibling that suddenly turns into a flesh eating zombie, right?  And you've got to be able to defend yourself when your older sibling turns into a snarling, drooling monster, right?  Mom and dad HAVE to be able to defend themselves from and the kids, right?

I think something the size of a Colt 1908 .25 caliber pistol would be just about right.  Small enough to be able to hide and still big enough to get the job done.  I wasn't able to find any blue-prints/drawings for the Colt 1908, but I did find a photo on blueprints.com.  The pistol is supposed to be 114.5mm long in the real world.  In the photo, at 100% size, it measures at about 120mm - close enough!

I just got this wild hair brilliant idea last night so I haven't completed enough of the design to be able to share anything yet.  I'm still learning how to work in a 3D world after 50+ years working in a 2D world.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll have something to show for my efforts.

Don

CHA5:
Are you looking for something like this :

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2294973

We used to make rubber band rifles out of a length of wood with a clothes peg for the trigger. When you tied a knot in the end of the band you could insert a chewed up piece of paper as ammunition.

This was great fun until 'handbags' lost his right eye. 50yrs later & he'll still chase you holding his glass replacement.

I thought we stopped giving kids toy guns in the 80's?

Last year, rather than just stuff cash in an envelope, I printed off several of these & stuffed a £20 reward inside (inflation) & handed them out at the big get together pre-xmas. It was amazing to watch them, all sat huddled together in a race to be the first to crack the puzzle.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:201097

ddmckee54:
The kids are in a family of hunters/sport-shooters, and all are introduced to gun safety at an early age - even rubber band guns.

Besides, I'm of the opinion that great-uncles, corporate engineers, and seagulls are all birds of a feather.  We fly in, we squawk a lot, we sh*t all over everything, and then we leave.  I also plan to check with the parents before I actually commit to printing a bunch of these.

I've attached a PDF of what my version of the Colt 1908 will look like.  The blue artifact blocking half of the trigger guard is due to me forgetting that when I export a model to 3D PDF, the software exports EVERYTHING - not just the layers/objects that I have turned on.

I'm going to try printing a prototype this weekend to see what needs to be tweaked.

Don

ddmckee54:
CHA5:

I thought I was a trouble-maker but you sir are pure evil.  I printed one of your infernal gift boxes Friday night, and I can proudly say that I have assembled it - twice.  I got it apart once, but I think that was pure luck since I haven't been able to manage a repeat performance.

I'm printing them for the kids, it'll keep 'em busy for a while.  It takes about 8 hours to complete the print, so I start a print before I leave for work.

My rubber band gun prototype failed miserably.  It dry-cycled just fine, but when I loaded it with rubber bands, it wouldn't release consistently.   Sometimes it would work properly for 4-5 shots, sometimes it wouldn't fire at all, and sometimes it would fire all the rounds at once.  I'm still working on the rubber band guns, but I need to re-design the internals.  I suspect that the fiddly itty-bitty springs are the culprit so I'm getting rid of them.  Plus I lost 4-5 of the little buggers in the multiple times that I assembled/dis-assembled the prototype, so they gotta go.

I printed the next generation of the frame for the prototype last night, and I'll print the internals tonight.  We'll see if I've got a winner or just another dud.

Don

CHA5:

--- Quote from: ddmckee54 on December 17, 2018, 02:52:54 PM ---CHA5:

I thought I was a trouble-maker but you sir are pure evil.  I printed one of your infernal gift boxes Friday night, and I can proudly say that I have assembled it - twice.  I got it apart once, but I think that was pure luck since I haven't been able to manage a repeat performance.

I'm printing them for the kids, it'll keep 'em busy for a while.  It takes about 8 hours to complete the print, so I start a print before I leave for work.

--- End quote ---

If you map out the path with a felt pen onto your own secret internal, which the kids need never know exists, then it's much easier to solve. I actually had it in memory last xmas. I suspect they'll abandon the £20 & run away & hide if I try similar this year :-)

Rather than try to get a rubber band gun working reliably, how about something simples . . . like a Xbow?

My mate often wraps his kids pocket money around arrows, which he shoots 100's of yards out into the fields !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version