The Shop > Metal Stuff

Tig tungsten

(1/8) > >>

Fortis64:
Advice needed on which tig tungsten in general terms  to use on mild steel from light gauge sheet metal to half inch thick plate. Been advised to use 2%  lanthanated tungsten . Could you share what grinds you put on them for different styles of welding ,ie...light to heavy beads . 

Sean

WeldingRod:
Sounds fine.  Pretty steep angle in general.  Steeper tends toward narrower hot area.  DC reverse is much more penetrating.  DC straight is diffuse.  The heat goes with the electrons.  Flat spot is related to current.
Just internet up a chart to get your electrode size right.

Btw, if you have access to harbor fright saw grinders, buy one!!!!  Put on the diamond wheel and revel in moderate speed grinding awesomeness.  It does great on tungsten and carbide, and is slow enough for steel (really).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

PekkaNF:

--- Quote from: WeldingRod on December 09, 2018, 10:21:34 AM ---....
Btw, if you have access to harbor fright saw grinders, buy one!!!!  Put on the diamond wheel and revel in moderate speed grinding awesomeness.  It does great on tungsten and carbide, and is slow enough for steel (really).

--- End quote ---

This one?
https://www.harborfreight.com/120-volt-circular-saw-blade-sharpener-96687.html
3800 rpm / 140W?

thank you,
Pekka

WeldingRod:
Yep, that's it!  I'm 99% sure mine isnt 3800 rpm.  I put one in at work too, so I've run two of them.  It's a brush motor, so you could drop the speed further by going to half wave rectification of phase control.
If there's interest I could publish my sliding table for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

PekkaNF:

--- Quote from: WeldingRod on December 10, 2018, 08:49:44 AM ---Yep, that's it!  I'm 99% sure mine isnt 3800 rpm.  I put one in at work too, so I've run two of them.  It's a brush motor, so you could drop the speed further by going to half wave rectification of phase control.
If there's interest I could publish my sliding table for it.

--- End quote ---

There is enough interest for the sliding table. Please, publish something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version