Author Topic: Forgot about this Forum  (Read 5276 times)

Offline Alphawolf45

Forgot about this Forum
« on: December 07, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »
 Because I had a birthday and received a happy birthday notice I popped back in here.- I had forgotten about this forum... It appears I joined in '08 and then quit reading.Well , to introduce myself again, I am 63 , struggled with cancer treatments for past several months.. In previous years I scratch built several rifles that I shoot in competitions but couldnt do much this past year..I am garnering interest in the aspects of metalsworking that I have not had time to experience. There has been some good stuff written here in my absence so I have a lot of good reading to catch up with. I have nothing to contribute and will keep a low profile. From reading I understand that gun projects are not actually welcome, which may explain why I moved on 10 years ago.
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Re: Forgot about this Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »
Welcome back  :D
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 06:33:17 PM »
Well thankyou Shipto
   Chemo has slowed me down and made me fat and lazy.. But I will come back from this. Presently putting a sinker EDM back to working condition after buying it in non-working condition. It weighs over 6000lbs so it is my 4th heaviest machine. I have it running now but have not done well with repairing it's DRO-but I haven't given up yet........….And I am scratch building a Broomhandle Mauser, has to be the most difficult project I have ever worked on......…. Must say I enjoy reading other's projects here though I am a tool and diemaker but think I have missed some considerable learning along the way. Lot of talent showing here. Thanks for having me.
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »
Hello Alphawolf welcome back.

As the owner of a sinker EDM (featured in these very pages somewhere in the 'new from old ' section!) I'd be interested to hear your trials and tribulations restoring yours

Mines a Eurospark 425 with a raising / lowering tank and stationary table
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 11:01:09 AM »
awemawon
   You have a very unique EDM unlike anything I have ever seen... Also it is a nice size... I bought mine sight unseen a few hundred miles away. When I went to pick it up I panicked- it's huge.. The dielectric fluid tank holds 450 liters.. For my purposes I'd like to have an edm half this size. I have not had many problems with it aside from broken switches and the malfunctioning DRO is connected to the EDM for automated depth control and retraction. Disconnect the DRO from the EDM and she functions normally..
     Worst difficulty I have had is that it is a Chinese built machine and the users manual was translated into English in a difficult to follow manner.. Also the schematics are incomplete and hard to understand.. I used to rebuild and recalibrate lab grade electronic test equipment and I seldom had anything I couldn't repair IF I had good circuit data.. I am pretty well lost without a good schematic..

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 12:09:20 PM »
The Eurospark H425's are quite common over here in various guises, but I've never managed to get any circuit diagrams of the electronics, only wiring diagrams of dubious accuracy.

The vintage of the machine means it's practically all discrete components - a few op  amps iirc - so 'knife and forking' my way through it with a 'scope and meter is not too onerous.

Mine suffered from gross neglect prior to my ownership, all the wiring cage and circuits being covered in nicely conductive  but greasy, carbon dust. So I suppose at least there weren't static electricity issues  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 03:20:26 PM »
 I just went out to the shop and tried my Topedm and find that its not fixed yet though oddly enough it was behaving better two days ago.... Like yours Awemawson , this unit is pretty basic in it's electronics ..It is vintage 1995, the only IC in it is a 555 timer, I may be wrong about that as I hadn't had the covers off the controller in a year... I had it working good until I moved it into my machinery room and built a wall behind it.. Likely the major fault is with the operator. It does need a couple new double pole single throw switches..Doesnt matter what it needs.. I need an EDM and this one will serve me well once my Chemo brain has returned to normal..
      My wife feeds birdseed to the wild birds thru the winter and then mice are attracted and find their way into my shop. I found a mouse nest inside the back of the machine and apparently a mouse urinated down a terminal strip causing rust.. Reckon what is the best way to clean up mouse P rust ?

Offline Biggles

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »
Welcome back Alphawolf.