The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Lightning strike

<< < (2/3) > >>

naffsharpe (Nathan):
Andrew, I've also bought from them previously and had no problems . They no longer have any stores but are now totally online. The OptiPlex has on board sound so I'll just plug my existing 2 . 1 setup in. If the onboard sounds are not good I'll find a low profile PCI card on Ebay.  Nathan.

Pete W.:
I bought a couple of items from Morgan Computers back in the 1980's.  That was from their New Oxford Street store.

One was a Brother daisy wheel printer.  A brilliant bit of kit!  The thing was, you got just what the advert said - the sales guy plugged in the power cord to test the printer but unplugged it again when the printer had been shown to be OK and returned the power cord to some place under the counter!  And it came with just the ribbon that was fitted.  Still, I went back later and bought the tractor feed attachment.  With the right label stock it would print all the sticky address labels for my Christmas cards completely unattended.

My second major purchase from Morgan was a Hewlett Packard digital X-Y plotter.  I was living in Essex in those days and the plotter was a bit of an armfull to manage on the Underground back to Liverpool Station!!!!!!

Please don't leave us hanging, Nathan, do come back and post what you decided and how things worked out.   

naffsharpe (Nathan):
Pete, I went ahead and placed my order this afternoon. I should have a PC up and running by midweek . I decided to stick with my first choice, a  Dell Optiplex 780 SFF PC C2D E8400 3GHz 4GB 160GB DVD Windows 10 Professional (Refurbished / Grade A1) @ £108.29 . Not a bad price even if I have to play with it a bit. I think I've some DDR3 here somewhere to bring it up to 16GB and I'll clone/copy to a larger HDD . Now I'll start looking for something to fill the empty slots, 1 x PCI and 1 x PCI x 16 , both low profile . While I'm in "spend" mode I've also decided to bring my old Dell Precision M 70 back into use as workshop laptop, under XP it will do most of what I need. The other thing that I realised is just how much space I gain under my desk, the Optiplex is SFF, about 1/3 of a ft/3 ! I'm looking forward to receiving it and getting off this tablet which is too small for my clumsy fingers !! Nathan.

naffsharpe (Nathan):
On a related subject, protection from the effects of lightning strike , I had some feed back from the ME Forum where I'm also a member. While I realise that , unless you unplug your kit , you can never be fully protected but you can buy plug in phone line surge arrestors . I had never heard of them before . One ME member has offered me some RS units he had found while sorting his workshop , the generosity of people within our hobby is outstanding. Nathan.

naffsharpe (Nathan):
Hello all, today I had a few hours to look at the "lightning strike" PC. After the week of despair I decided to actually look at the motherboard to see what had happened to it , something I had decided many years ago, never to do again!! After much head scratching I started to delve and have managed to bring it back to life (of a kind), but well enough to be posting this slowly and with many re-paging episodes. I had lost audio, pci/motherboard ethernet and all Usb bus. There were 2 spare pci slots which are filled with an ancient Creative soundcard and an equally ancient ethernet card, usb was solved by using the second channel usb which was marked as front panel and never worked! I've lost 4.5Gb of memory (I'd done the software mod to allow 32 bit to see 8 Gb ) but all appears to be working O/K . I had to use solder kit twice only. All of this was forced by Morgan Computers doing what they sat they do , provide the customer with what the customer requires, the PC I ordered was not actually in stock so they upgraded my choice to the desktop model  but they had to have it upgraded to Win  10 before they sent to me . My next problem is finding affordable DDR3 non ecc at 1333mhz al I have is DDR2 at 850mhz . Nathan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version