Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

CNC 4th Axis ideas needed

<< < (2/2)

WeldingRod:
I needed one for a work project, and bought a not-working HAAS 5c.  The slo syn was full of coolant glop, but a modern stepper fitted right in.  I ran it for a few hours with spindle oil drizzled into the worm gear, then greased it repeatedly while running it.  It runs great, BUT super slow.  Don't expect real feed rates from a good worm!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mc:
djc, those are all valid comments, which have been bouncing around my head while thinking about the pro/cons of various options.

Chucks I'll admit I'm not entirely sure about. I'm actually thinking of something interchangeable, as I'd like to feed square/rectangular bar through the chuck, which would likely involve some kind of custom adaptable setup to allow for good flexibility, but then being able to fit a normal 3/4jaw chuck would be good for handling round bar. Some kind of D type chuck mount is a real possibility, although t-slots with a locating boss or two might be easier.

Running some figures from the top of my head, if I take a 50 tooth wheel with a single start worm, that's a 50:1 ratio. Couple it to a smallish servo (I'm thinking 2-400W) that should manage 3000RPM, that's 50RPS per second at the motor, and with the 50:1 ratio, gives 1 full turn of the 4th axis per second. Not exactly fast, but I would of thought perfectly adequate for occasional 4th axis machining.

If I'm being realistic, the majority of stuff I'll be doing will be more positioning than true 4th axis work, so I suspect a brake will end up part of the design just to eliminate backlash (I'm more concerned about chatter, than tolerances in that regard). And feeding an encoder to the KFlop to handle backlash is a possibility, but obvisouly minimising backlash to begin with is the better option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version