Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Power supply for Nema 23 Stepper ?

<< < (13/13)

mc:
At those speeds, I doubt you'd notice much difference with a higher voltage power supply. The only real benefit of a higher voltage would be during rapids, especially if you wanted high accelerations.

As Phil has mentioned microstepping does give smoother operation. Obviously there are limitations, but generally 8 is a good compromise between smoothness and needing high pulse rates. There are not really any benefits from using a higher microstep setting.

It's worth noting that microstepping does not really improve accuracy. While microstepping, the driver is essentially balancing the motor shaft between two magnets with varying levels of pushing/pulling. Stiction and forces in the system will also affect the position, so the position can only be guaranteed to within one step.

I'd say run with the 36VDC supply and see how you get on.
Given you're in the UK, I certainly wouldn't pay the extra for Gecko drives. Even cheaper Leadshine DM drives (or some of their copies) give as good performance. If you want the best performance possible, Leadshine EM drives are far more advanced than Gecko drives, and much cheaper! (EM806 retail is £106, and the G203V is £148 )

Johnny Bravo:
Thanks for that.
Only reason I mentioned Geckodrives is I know where there are a couple I could have for little to no money... :ddb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version