Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

3D Printed Parts for the car

<< < (2/2)

Joules:
I have two philosophies in designing for 3D printing.  Treat the design like it's made of wood, observe grain direction and design it how you would machine it.  That doesn't apply to making model boats though, and I find that a challenge.

JerryNotts:
Joules Good work.

I recently bought a 3D printer so as to get an understanding of what it's all about. It is really good to see someone producing useful objects.

As you said in your last post most of what has been produced, outside of manufacturing industry which may have money to spend, is absolutele rubbish, with no purpose than to satisfy the operator's sense of achievement.

I am beginning to feel my way towards making some items which will be useful to me. My first priority is to make the track plates for the Ruston Excavator I have started. There are about 66 of these plates which are just crying out to be 3D printed. I think I have solved the strength and abrasion resistance by choice of filament and settings, but as yet I have not been able to consistently 3D print them. (A holiday in hospital did not help)
Back to the workshop.
Jerry

Joules:
Jerry, nice start...  more information on your printer and filament you use, what temperature, layer height do you print at.  Some of those details look quite fine if this is a small item.  Consider bridging between small parts of your print and cut them away afterwards, as small detail can get dragged about if it is still warm.  Another thing to consider about bridging between detail, the bridge acts as a continuous path and so reduces stringing as it should all be in the bridge.  Just make the bridge a fraction wider than your nozzle diameter, so maybe 0.45mm.

Joules:
This video pretty much encapsulates the above, in regards engineering in 3D printing.  I’m not knocking Angus as he is a smart kid and I follow his channel. 

Printed seal from filament   :palm:   Just design it to use the filament off the roll.  Butterfly valve, because he can, not because he should.  On the flip side, he is learning by his mistakes, but so many others publish these as must have prints perpetuating poor design (Kickstarter etc).  I’m also saddened he is an Industrial Designer, not an engineer.  So many people design now for the engineer to sort the problem, learn some engineering, use that degree to study what you are doing and understand the problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version