Author Topic: Metal Selection  (Read 4239 times)

Offline Coldrolled

Metal Selection
« on: August 26, 2018, 12:34:21 PM »
Well as the weekend draws close for some, a new week begins. More cuts, bumps and bangs. Hope everone is well

I would like to pick some brains (not the thing to type while watching the walking dead).

I have some wear on my boxford / southbend apron worm drive and would like to make a new one. The issue i have is what material do i go for? (not my field)
I statred out with some research but got lost in the maze of numbers altough one thing i can rule out is copper. I know i can purchse a new one but i have a lathe and could do with another project to squeeze into my 28 hour day.

Thanks in advance peoples

EDIT: Also the tool post bolt has been chewed by some hungry 15 year old while waiting for dinner. Any advice on this one, dont want something that will flex like my current one does.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Metal Selection
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 01:37:55 PM »
Coldrolled  --  Mechanical wear (as opposed to corrosive wear) is usually governed by surface hardness and smoothness.  Thus, material that is easily hardened is one property you are looking for.  Being easily polished for maximum smoothness would be the nexy.  Do you have any experience with case hardening?

Offline Coldrolled

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 02:30:54 PM »
Coldrolled  --  Mechanical wear (as opposed to corrosive wear) is usually governed by surface hardness and smoothness.  Thus, material that is easily hardened is one property you are looking for.  Being easily polished for maximum smoothness would be the nexy.  Do you have any experience with case hardening?

I dont see an issue with polishing but case hardening and keeping it within tolerences is a whole new ball game. In the past i have hardened bits of steel to make sockets etc in the automotive industry but it was never by the book just a grease monkey with a torch and whatever was wet to throw it in. when researching, i did look at some 4140 (Blame Mr Fenner). I can not remeber the Uk equilvlent.

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 07:11:26 PM »
Cold drawn 4140, 4130 are both reasonable to machine and quite strong as-is.  They can be oil quenched and tempered if you need really hard.  If you need really strong and still machinable, find some ETD150 or "stressproof" (which I think is the same stuff).  150ksi yield, but still tough, and machinable.  Normal cold rolled/drawn stuff is pretty good too, just machine it symmetrically, or round bar to round part wise.
If you need corrosion resistant then that's another post ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline chipenter

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 02:21:21 AM »
Toolpost studs are available for RDG and Cronos I got a spare with a Dixson QCT but that's over the top just for a nut and stud ,
Jeff