Home Base > Introductions

Hi from Bolton UK.

<< < (3/3)

awemawson:
Ade, I have no knowledge of the Quickturn controller, but don't under estimate the complexities of replacing it. Entirely possible of course but the shear volume of inputs and outputs on a complex CNC lathe is quite a challenge to deal with in an orderly fashion in the timescale that machining demands.
Remember that the first version of your lathe probably took a team of half a dozen several months implementing and integrating the control with the lathe, and they almost certainly had already 'done it before' on earlier models.

The huge advantage of replacing the controller is of course that everything is under your control with no issues of lack of information from long gone suppliers.

Example: if I had a paper copy of the ladder logic of the PLC on the Beaver, I'm certain I'd have found the issue with spindle orientation by now.

cnc-it:
Yes Ade definitely keep the control original..there is always someone out there who has the information needed get it working again.

Mazak will probably have 100's of software and electrical engineers working on their controls..no disrespect to Mach as it's been great for a lot of retro fits but it's a few guys writing the software in their spare time backed up by forum members flagging up bugs when a new update comes out..not to mention the cost of all new cabling for the new expensive servos and drives you would have to buy because the old ones are specific to the Mazak control etc etc   :jaw:

tom osselton:
It’s a big boat Ade I’m the guy third to your right waving!
We haven’t heard from the guy that we talked to last week but hopefully soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version