Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Mill/drill stand for Warco Major mill

<< < (2/9) > >>

vtsteam:
I thought the same thing, PK, but with further reading most who actually have tried that found it both inaccurate (several thou off) and inconvenient.

Here are two videos contrasting the indicator method and the laser pointer method.

Most people who also have constructed mechanical guide devices find an error of several thou. I haven't seen anything which looks as simple, or is as accurate as the indicator method.

indicator:

laser:

PekkaNF:
Thank you

I have been reading long time about the round column vs. dovetail column mill conondrum.

Phenomenon is true and relevant.

Most views seem to be somewhat flawed. This is actually pretty analytical and incidently it is "same" mill that I have:

beef is here (long tool priciple), the video is long, and he is explaining several things there
https://youtu.be/wy9N-jg1AE0?t=487

Ok, it is all about drilling and this type machine is primarly drill, that has a spindle that is capable for limited milling. I saw one at one gunshop and the owner told me how he used it and what are the limitations.

Why I did't get dove tail or knee (often coned VMC or 3/4 size) mill?
- limited spindle stroke on small knee type mill VMC (130mm vs, 89mm)
- Dovetail table mills seem to suffer from weak pilar (thin casting, open on back, some sheet metal might make them look bulkier)
- not big fan of cheap gear drive, I actually spens some time in a romme where one was used and I tried it too...I don't have a decibel value to put or put my finger to it....it just sounds and feels bad. I feel that belt drive gives me greater flexibility. Most likely have to change the motor at one point.
- smaller mill/drils have a DC motor and plastic gears, I really don't like them

But, If I could just drive locally somewhere and load RF-45 into van, I probably would be just as happy.

I am thinkking now the size and depth of the tray under the machine.

Pretty conviced I'll find reasonable size tool chest or drawer module under the mill table.

Pekka

chipenter:
I have a Warco minor and the club has a major both on stands made from 2" box steel , no drawers underneath but open plastic storage boxes and are swarf free so far .

PekkaNF:

--- Quote from: chipenter on August 03, 2018, 02:46:26 PM ---I have a Warco minor and the club has a major both on stands made from 2" box steel , no drawers underneath but open plastic storage boxes and are swarf free so far .

--- End quote ---

How is the club Major stand in practical use? Does it has a swarf tray?

chipenter:
Yes it has the Warco tray on a 19mm ply top , the top overhangs the frame by 75mm , still to rig up coolant for the Major but I use mist on mine as it has no tray , the Major has no drain to the table yet just a mater of drilling and taping for a hose connector .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version