Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Mill/drill stand for Warco Major mill

<< < (8/9) > >>

PekkaNF:
Pretty convinced that M10 achor bolts will keep it tied properly on floor.

I was first considering buidling a frame over a toolbox. I could not find a tool cart of proper size (I actually bought one). But with wheels and/or table support frame it would have brought the many mill controls too high and I would have left behind it 100% empty space - they are not that deep and this mill is about one metre deep. The tool cart will be repurposed to it's original function as a tool cart to store some measurement tools and such

Then I checked smallet tool chests and boxes and I felt that I would be designing in a unnecessary complication with a very little gain. All resulted in wasted space and reduced flexibility. Therefore I decided to build funcional frame and later fit in few selves or drawers and maybe mount something on the frame.

This is build way too thick materials (6-8 mm wall thickness) but that is what I had in hand. And It won't break. I was considering a 3 mm sheet metal shell and putting three drawers in. Would have looked more professional, but harder to build anything in after mounting the milling machine.

Pekka

vtsteam:
Good to see it on the stand, Pekka! :beer:

PekkaNF:
Next thing next:

CENTERING! :lol:

Two basic ways to mount centring indicator

A) Stub that mounts into chuck: Dowside = you need to take off the drill or tool and replace it with indicator.

Coaxial is nicer, but takes more daylight.

B) Threepoint moount that mounts to spindle ot chuck.

Might be nicer to centre multiple holes and use one centre drill.

Pekka

PekkaNF:

--- Quote from: PekkaNF on November 11, 2018, 11:53:55 AM ---Next thing next:

CENTERING! :lol:
B) Three-point mount that mounts to spindle ot chuck.

Might be nicer to centre multiple holes and use one centre drill.

Pekka

--- End quote ---

Got today ne about 11£ job.

Glad I bought it. It is sort of 3D model for what I need.

Construction is pretty sloppy and it has pretty inconsistent adjustment. It has a lot of nylon washers and some aluminium spacers, but adjustment tries to open/close thumb nuts and that affects adjustment "feel" also the arms are pretty thin and every part flexes.

The three point fixture mounts nice on spindle nose (but has no space to turn there) and mounts pretty nice to drill chuck.

Some pictures...

Pekka

PekkaNF:
Mill has been used to make some light work. Now my carbide mills and drills gets exercise at top speed (all that mill has, my 1,5 metric ton mill has 700 rpm max spindle speed....).

However, it started ocassionally really rough - banging and shuddering. As if the centrifugal switch went to very rapid ON/OFF switching during the start. Seemed to happen mostly on two highest speed (that I used anyways 80% of time).

Sent message to Warco and it was answered pretty fast. However they were not interested to assist me to troubleshoot it (maybe understandably - there are all sorts of people). Suggestion to take it to motor shops does to fly with me.

I opened the motor junction box and Z-circuit wires were all loose - that goes long way explaing the rough start (this is the start capacitor - centrifugal switch circuit), two other screws were not tighten either. Two other connections and ground wire connections were loose on the control box (the one with all push-buttons). After tightening them up it hasn’t been acting up anymore.

Next challenge is to find correct belts to it. The original V-belts are pretty lumpy and are wearing rapidly.

There are two belts, luckily they have markings that make some sense. They are A-profile belts and first number is ID-length, next is nominal length - in this case datum length.

Longer belt, markings on the belt: A-1000Li 1033Ld
Measured Li 998 mm, La 1058 mm.

Shorter belt, markings on the belt: A-838Li 871Ld
Measured Li 837 mm, La 897 mm

I would like to replace them with AX or XPA cogged belts. Looks like they are not made exactly to same dimensions, considering XPA 882 and XPA 1030 Optibelt Super X-Power belts.

let's see,
Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version