Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Help - lead screw nut binding!

<< < (2/2)

awemawson:
The loose area of travel is of course where it would have been most used in the past so the area most likely to wear.

It's not unknown for people to squeeze a nut to reduce the back lash when the lead screw has worn - if this was done in situ then you would have the symptoms that you are observing. Take your glass to the nut and look for evidence !

chipenter:
I would mike the bottom of the thread with three wires to check depth of thread is consistent .

raynerd:
It’s sorted now. It was binding over one section of thread that seemed to have a little edge to it, same on both sides. I rubbed it down and as soon as the nut went over the other side was fine! Very odd! Sorry for the panic and I appreciate the help last night and today.

Chipinter, just for further reference, what do you mean by using three wires?

Chris

chipenter:
The tree wire method is wires of the same size are used , two on adjacent threads and one opposite to form a triangle to measure , there are tables for this method using precision ground wires .https://littlemachineshop.com/images/gallery/instructions/ThreeWireMethod.pdf

vtsteam:
I guess the questions I'd want to figure out if it was mine is why were those edges there? And when did it happen? It sounds like it was after the purchase.

Symptomatic, also, to have that in two places. A single spot can be the result of an accidental ding.

If there's a mechanical use cause, it may return.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version