The Shop > Our Shop

Clean The Floor Up!

(1/3) > >>

klank:
Floor covering in the workshop has been dealt with elsewhere, but I learned a big lesson from my dog.
Neeps - his name - is a venerable old Westy - going blind (diabetes) but quite happy and companionable, but has to use his nose more to get around since his fading eyesight.
I had been machining quite a bit of Ally in the 'shop - which is my garage - plain, cold, rough finished concrete floor.

I usually sweep up several times in a days work.
That night, I noticed Neeps was worrying and licking at one of his front foot pads - discovered a curly piece of Ally swarf sticking into it quite deep - felt mortified. He rarely comes into the 'shop.
Turns out I had trodden a bit of swarf into the house when getting a coffee.
Wife not best pleased either.
Never again, I decided.

Concrete floor also produces concrete dust - continuously - every time you move anything over its surface, not a particularly nice surface to touch/walk on for any length of time either.

Cannot find a source of cheap thick plastic mats (as suggested in other posts), don't like duck-boards (things slip through the cracks).
Went to our local carpet/flooring supplier and blagged an off-cut roll of cushion backed vinyl flooring in plain cream!! (A most un-popular colour - got it for next to nothing).

Cut to shape and laid all around the areas I usually stand/work at (mill/lathe/bench etc.), under the table/desk etc.
Being cream, it reflects the light better, shows up any swarf, and a bonus - much easier to find those little bits that drop on the floor and roll away.

Far less concrete dust and much easier to sweep through and see where the swarf is.

Oh, and I put a thick coconut door mat by the exit to the garage - and use it!

Darren:
Yes I worry about the pets too, though they are not allowed in the workshop for those exact reasons.

The dog would love to come in, shame  :(

I used that 2 pack floor paint in mine, similar to roof expoy, expensive, but it covers really well and is quite tough. Far better than normal floor paint, but it's not cheap.

Still gets chewed up by swarf thoug,

John Hill:
My garage opens directly into the house so no tracking swarf through allowed!

A broom should be the answer but mine just stands in the corner and seems to do nothing all day,  my answer is 'garage shoes'.

SPiN Racing:
You all saw my garage....

Our 4 Chihuahuas cant go in there..

They would get lost
Get eaten by a fruit rat if there is one in there
OR get eaten by the spider we saw once about 9 months ago... Dinner plate sized. No Lie. And no I have not been able to find him, or any trace of him... but my son and I watched him run away and hide in the tires. <shiver>
And then there is the swarf... some as big as they are.

Bernd:
Spin,

Sounds like it's time to get bigger dogs.  :lol:

Bernd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version