The Shop > Tools

Edgwick lathe

<< < (2/4) > >>

Pete.:
No way on earth would I be spending £1.5k on an old Edgwick, especially from a closing down company. It might be a minter but it's probably well down the road towards being a wreck.

I don't know where you are Faz but this 13" South Bend was on sale in Peterborough recently for half that and it's in superb condition, still has the scraping on the ways.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/183211682066?nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

AdeV:
Hi Matt,

--- Quote ---Chucks are easy to mount, a 15mm, 9/16 steel plate is all you need to make an adapter. The spindle taper an Edgwick proprietry taper, a morse taper 6 can be modified to fit.
--- End quote ---

True enough, it'd be easy enough to make a back plate. Bear in mind, though, that unless you want to try to fit 3 bolts through the back of the spindle nose, whilst holding a chuck in the right place, then getting it to seat properly on the register.... you need to put 3 backward facing short-ish bolts through from the "wrong" side of the backplate, trapped in such a way as they can't rotate when you crank up the 3 holding nuts...

As for the spindle taper - proprietary it may be, but it's exactly 0.050" per inch, or 0.600" per foot, which is exactly the same as a Jarno taper... Trust me, I've had a bore gauge up her snout... I made (bodged, really) an ER32 collet chuck - out of aluminium, which is hardly the ideal material - and as soon as I got the taper right, it went in there snug as a bug in a rug. In fact, it took a pretty hefty thwack with the LART* to shift it...

*LART = luser ("loser") Attitude Readjustment Tool. AKA a hammer. luser is an old Unix joke.

mattinker:

--- Quote from: AdeV on June 13, 2018, 05:26:46 PM ---Hi Matt,

--- Quote ---Chucks are easy to mount, a 15mm, 9/16 steel plate is all you need to make an adapter. The spindle taper an Edgwick proprietry taper, a morse taper 6 can be modified to fit.
--- End quote ---

True enough, it'd be easy enough to make a back plate. Bear in mind, though, that unless you want to try to fit 3 bolts through the back of the spindle nose, whilst holding a chuck in the right place, then getting it to seat properly on the register.... you need to put 3 backward facing short-ish bolts through from the "wrong" side of the backplate, trapped in such a way as they can't rotate when you crank up the 3 holding nuts...

I used lengths of stud, threaded int the back plate, with a tack of weld to stop them coming unscrewed! As for holding up the chuck, I use a wooden "horse" (one for each chuck) so that it is supported, no weight! It also protects the ways from chuck fall! You could use counter sunk bolts coming through from the front! Make the threaded part short enough to be able to get the nuts on when the chuck is fully home!

As for the spindle taper - proprietary it may be, but it's exactly 0.050" per inch, or 0.600" per foot, which is exactly the same as a Jarno taper... Trust me, I've had a bore gauge up her snout... I made (bodged, really) an ER32 collet chuck - out of aluminium, which is hardly the ideal material - and as soon as I got the taper right, it went in there snug as a bug in a rug. In fact, it took a pretty hefty thwack with the LART* to shift it...

*LART = luser ("loser") Attitude Readjustment Tool. AKA a hammer. luser is an old Unix joke.

--- End quote ---

Cheers, Matthew

faz:
thankyou very much lads uv pit my mind to rest iv decided not to go with it unless he dropes it half the asking price which i doubt i might consider a colcherster or harrison something that will hold a bit of value.
i will keep you guys posted on what i end up with and once again a big thankyou for all your input and guidance 👍

faz:

--- Quote from: Pete. on June 13, 2018, 05:21:00 PM ---No way on earth would I be spending £1.5k on an old Edgwick, especially from a closing down company. It might be a minter but it's probably well down the road towards being a wreck.

I don't know where you are Faz but this 13" South Bend was on sale in Peterborough recently for half that and it's in superb condition, still has the scraping on the ways.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/183211682066?nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

--- End quote ---

yes pete seen that one it was a good 1 unfortunately listing has ended so cant find it 👍

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version