The Shop > Composites & Plastics

Glass fibre mould from the slender plug

<< < (3/12) > >>

sparky961:
I'll bet your daughter just got tired of you bugging her and decided to give you a project to keep you busy. :P

Otherwise, your daughter has a pretty damn good dad!  Or maybe she's a little spoiled.... ;)

PekkaNF:
She is spoiled, but there are few chores she has to do in and around he house to free my time for these projects. Most of the stuff I only show few minutes how to do and then leave her to finish the work for two hours. But glasfibre work is something I don't do routinely and I'm not sure. Last summer she helped me to pave front of the garage and booked up a hotel and drove her 300 km to convetiond and stayed there two night to see that she is safe, fed and all that parenting thing. Good deal.

Steve, I see. This has to be somewhat translucent. Like, if you hold the blade, you must see vaguely hand outline, but no need to see any details.

I might try POP later on smaller detalis, specially if I need only one-off part....I am bit sceptical on that parting off wax, I never had good results with vaseline or automotive waxes. Once I brought some aclaimed release wax from USA and transported it home on my lugage (those were the times!), and it worked ok, but needed really many layers and the can dried in the end. Karnauba fourniture wax worked well in my youth and solvent stink was bening.

Anyways, Resin rep. told me that with their resin and on my case, I need to wait one and half day and then the mould should be usable. So I layed up gelcoat, some thickened resin, chopped strand mat and finally twill to tidy up. I am rusty. Took really long to do all the stuff. Check this morning (less than 6 hrs of sleep) and it still is a litlle greenish and would have been time to cut edges off, but desided to leave un disturbed.

Now: 1) Will it release? 2) Will it have voids? Noob mistakes.....I don't feel too confident, but first on this decade (actually closer to 20 years.....) is first. :lol:

Pekka

PekkaNF:
So....my big mistake: Went techno and tried new one can 2K paint to cover the plug.

All went initially well....mould popped open easy, but from filler. Not from separation wax layer....damnhik!

Called the wax manufacturer and they were rally helppfull, All should have been fine.

Then called paint manufacurer and explained the situation. We had a really nice chat. It perspired that in order to keep that paint from setting in the can they have mixed the acid hardener in water. Therefore the after spraying the water has to evaporate off the paint layer before it hardens and it might take 7 days and has to be open all that time....a chemist is going to call me on moday and explain it fully.

PekkaNF:
Anyway, because the chemical reaction did not finnish in three days, layers separated on competely wrong place and there was not end to my fustration.. I used some sanding paper to remove MDF, then acetone and wood spatula to remove the unhardened 2K paint and all started to look better.

After a little more polishing pad all started to look pretty good, found one hairline fracture and few little pores. Easy to fill with epoxy/microbaloons.

To be continued tomorow...

PekkaNF:
Sanded down to gelcoat and then polished the mould.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version