Author Topic: Harrison 140 3 phase motor information wanted.  (Read 4972 times)

Offline farmerjoe

Harrison 140 3 phase motor information wanted.
« on: May 07, 2018, 03:51:51 AM »
Hi guys,

My 140 has been converted to single phase by a previous owner.
It is the high speed model with 16 speeds. I would like to return it to its former 3 phase glory.

Can anyone furnish me with the details of the original motor or better yet point me in the direction of where to find one!
I’ve done some searching but haven’t manage to turn up much.

Thanks
Joe

Offline hermetic

Re: Harrison 140 3 phase motor information wanted.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 03:09:47 PM »
is it an eight speed that used to be fitted with a two speed motor? I looked on lathes.co.uk/harrison, but no motor details unfortunately, if it has had a three phase two speed, you want a 1440/2860 (or thereabouts) rpm motor of between2 and 3hp, but if the single phase one is less than this, and you have never managed to stall it,, go for one the same HP as the single phase one. If it was only ever fitted with a single speed motor, it will have been a 1440 rpm one.
Hope this helps, do you have a manual? if not have a look on the Yahoo group for Harrison lathe users to see if they have a PDF, or you could buy one from lathes.co.uk. the pic is the motor in the back of my Colchester, which is a Brooks 3ph, 1.5/3hp 1440/2860 rpm, just to illustrate that they are actually quite small. You would be better off buying a rebuilt or rewound Brook motor or similar than buying a new italian or chinese one! Do you know of a motor rewind shop in your area?
Hope this helps
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline farmerjoe

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 04:56:44 PM »
Thanks for that Phil.

Yes it originally had a 2 speed 3 phase motor. Having looked hi and low I can find little to few for sale and very little information.

Lathe currently has a 3hp single phase on it, I’ve made it work hard but not yet stalled it out!
I do have a manual that came with the lathe, I believe it’s one of Tony’s @ Lathes.co.uk. Unfortunately it’s help in the motor department.

The motor on mine is huge in comparison to the one I’m your picture!

I’ll have a look for a local motor rewind company. Can a single speed motor be rewound to double speed?

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 05:24:43 PM »
I've got a 3-phase dual speed motor that's not going to be used by me. It's from an A&S 2E mill. if I recall correctly.

Rated at 3kW. Any use to you?

Offline hermetic

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 06:23:11 AM »
That would do the job Seadog, but it depends on the physical size of the motor, and whether it will actually fit in where it has to go. My Student has a 1.5/3 hp  1440/2860 rpm motor which was the standard fitting at Colchester. I am not familiar with where the motor is on a Harrison, but I am pretty sure it is inside the machine.
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline farmerjoe

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 10:41:15 AM »
Hi Seadog,

I’m interested in the motor. I think it’s about the same as what was fitted as standard.
The current 1 phase motor is 3hp and I was told the previous owner fitted it as it gave equivalent power to the original motor.

The current motor is mounted on the outside of the machine, so plenty of space.

What are you thinking on price? I see your in SE London, for a change that’s not too far away!

Thanks,
Joe

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 11:54:32 AM »
Hi Joe, did you see my last message?