Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Lathe build project

<< < (2/8) > >>

NormanV:
Here is the lathe saddle showing the cross slide and top slide. The top slide can be swivelled for turning tapers. It is not terribly convenient to do as I have to retract the topslide half way to expose the central locking screw but it did enable me to keep the size down.
Also due to the design of the slides the handles move with the slide which accounts for the long overhang of the cross slide handle. It won't affect the use but it does stick out a bit.

vtsteam:
Good work Norman!! :thumbup: :beer:

NormanV:
Thanks Steve. :beer:

krv3000:
its getting there brill work

NormanV:
Thanks Bob.
Yesterday I made the tailstock ram. The only material that I had was a piece of 1 1/2" Dia steel. This had to be turned down to 25.7mm (that was what the tailstock bore turned out at) and drilled right through. It weighed less than a third of the original weight by the time I had finished.
I drilled it first and then mounted it between centres to turn the outside. I was delighted to find that over its 220mm length I could not measure any variation in the diameter! It slides silkily smooth in the tailstock.
Today I am going to bore the front end MT2, that should be fun.
Just in case anyone wonders why I have made it so long, I intend having a lever operated tailstock as I understand that it gives a more delicate feel when using small drills. Is that others experience?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version