The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Which lathe (err... Scope) Rigol

<< < (2/4) > >>

eskoilola:
I know this will not help You in Your selection.
There has been memory oscilloscopes before the ADC+Memory era. I have seen at least two different approaches and even owned one.
The one I owned was a german Blauschreiber BLS-218. This has some sort of metallic powder that attaches on places where ray has passed. I don't know how that exactly worked but it was a funny device with autorange and 1 MHz bandwidth. 100% vacuum tubes naturally.
Other type has the CRT image stay glowing green until erased with a suitable antipulse. I think Tektronix has made these.

The Blauschreiber is nowdays a real rarity - there are only two samples in existence that the german museum of information is aware of. Mine would have made the third but I actually scrapped it. I am not that nostalgic - it had a great mains transformer for a 500W linear amplifier and a lot of knobs and switches not to talk about the mercuri wetted relays...

Edit: I found a website where this scope is presented here.

In case You german is not treated with rustoleum (mine is so it is not rusty) the page states about the screen that there is a potassium chloride layer on top of a mica plate. When touched by the ray it will turn dark. Erasure is done by heating. I really liked the paper like appearence on that scope.

PekkaNF:
Jesh, those are nice relicts, but not rally what I am looking for.

I got some time ago an flyer into my email about keysight economy scopes...I was excited first, but remember seeing economy TEK or R&S scope disassembled next Rigol, showing identical innards. I'm not big fan of Badge engineering.

Keysight boasts big time:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2189548.pdf

How much of that can be trusted on these "cheaper" ones:
http://uk.farnell.com/keysight-technologies/dsox1102a-100mhz-upgrade/digital-storage-osc-100mhz-2-ch/dp/2690194

I never buy options separately. I either get options for free (Rigol has offer now) or pay token fee while ordering, but I really don't like trinket trading. Therefore I'm comparing base-price models.

Like that works out much more expensive and whole lot more limited than equvalent Rigol. How much more I get something tanglible and not just badge?

About same price range TEK spesification is identical to RIGOL:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2239345.pdf

Am I missing something? Do I just upgrade a little with cheapest Rigol that will do now and put balance to "used TEK account when I see one"

Pekka

eskoilola:
Some things that caught my eye on this Keysight thing:

Operating temperature 0 - 50 degrees celcius
This means that some if not all of the components are of consumer grade. This also means that there are some components (probably the display) which will have a short life-span as it is operating at a relatively high temperature already at 21 degrees celcius.

The document does not contain word protection
Building a working protection into a measuring device is not cheap. This probably has one but I would never connect that into anything above 100 volts. Actually I could find out that the maximum input voltage is given at 200V peak-to-peak. Certainlyt not a hobbyist scope - I would turn this into a boat anchor the first day....

Seems like if I buy a new scope today that thing has a life expectancy about 5 years. I would buy a cheap chinese with just enough features and throw it away if/when it start bugging.

Edit: PDF in here.

Edit: for example a Siglent SDS1202X-E

PekkaNF:
I was actually thinking of that SDS1202X-E Siglent, it appears to be a lot of scope for the money...unfortunately I heard (and read to find out if rumors are true) that SW is substantially more flaky that Rigol.

So I will not go below Rigol and very tempted to buy one of most popular scopes, but I'm considering spending more money for a brand name scope it performs better.

I tried to google if the Rigol DS2102E 50 ohm input is proper analog circuit and not just switched attenuator and could not find definite answer. After all: I was willing to sacrifice 2 extra channels for 50 ohm input, bit more BW and pay some more.

I tried to check Keysight DSOX1102A + 100MHZ UPGRADE. It's even more money and missing the 50 ohm input. Ends up being very close to 1000€ with taxes and therefore it's pretty much out of the "race".

Pekka

Bluechip:
Pekka

Possibly is true, happened to me. D
Don't know whether the OS went south or the h/ware did but my Siglent SDS1102CML packed up on me after 8 months. Ch1 steadfastly refused to trigger but Ch2 was OK.
Refunded by Amazon without argument  :thumbup:

As Rigol UK were having an offer on ( all the add ons free and a discount  thrown in as well  :clap: )  just before last Xmas so I dived in.

Now have a DS2072A which is a lot better ...  so far ...

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version