The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Which lathe (err... Scope) Rigol

<< < (4/4)

PekkaNF:
Esko,

I agree about the amplifiers, probes and such, they are really vital for measurement and least as important than as the "scope". My previous "reference" probe for 50 MHz scope is 350MHz new 1:10 probe and I compare other probes to that. That still might just do for the new scope.

Luckily I have a friend that practically lootted bunch of high quality test equipment from one lab and works in one small calibration comppany. I take bunch of my stuff with me and he goes trough them and tells mee what are absolutely awfull and which is passable to certain limint.

He found one 50 ohm terminator that had a non SMD terminating resistor inside it and it had absolutely horific frequency behavior from few MHz up. It was bought from Reichelt.
https://www.reichelt.com/de/en/Test-probes-and-BNC-adapters/BNC-50-2W/3/index.html?ACTION=3&LA=3&ARTICLE=5648&GROUPID=7230

Pekka

PekkaNF:
Dave,

Pretty much decised to fo for Rigol DS2102E...costs the same every country and seems to have offer for free triggering option and serial encoders everywhere.

For me it's the mother of compromises, I don't feel too happy about it, but it looks like would do mst of stuff I need to do and get me started on thoset that it won't give clear cut answer. Then I take myself and my problem around 30 km south and visti my firned that has monster scopes, spectrum analyzer and some esoteric EMC measurement gear I have no idea to get me trough.

I did like some features on Keithley and some brand scopes, but all up price gets that high that I could allready buy a used professional scope.....the next stop.

I sent enquiry to one local comppany, will call them and most likely to buy the scope on Monday.

Now, I basically have only two questions on my mind.....

1: Anybody have idea on Rigol DS2000 series scope input noise levels? What I have read, they should not be that bad and input stage should be reasonably well shielded.

2: What is the real practical difference with Rigol DS2102 A and E versions? I see from the spec that A-version offers 2 GS/s to one channel (and 1GS/s per channel when both channles are used and E version offers 1GS/s to each channel.

Also A-model seems to go for higher nominal frequencies, but at additional price.

I know that I have tnedency to go trough much of the information to make a educated descission. Hope I'm not making everybody grazy. Just last week I got bitched up once being too thorough on solving one problem, but also got compliments of solving it when everybody else had given up.....I really don't understand people.

Pekka

PekkaNF:
I asked questions from two comppanies. One answered promptly my questions and I just ordered the scope from there.

The scope is Rigol DS2102E. Rigol has now deal for free SW options, and I felt that it probably will come handly some time.

Pekka

PekkaNF:
Got it yesterday. powered it up and tried to find my way around it. Feels familiar right away. I like that it has separate controls for both channels. "Auto" funktion is a little different.

Screen is really significanlty bigger and more clear. Unfortunately they have used up the bigger resolution and text is not bigger, maybe it's bit more clear. hope there is an option for slightly bigger text. Hate to make mistake with a speck of dust and decimal indicator.

Boot takes longer, but then scope is pretty responsive. Most functions are fast.

Most SW has a "Trial" status, but I got woucher with the scope. Have to see how to upgrade serial decode etc. it all should be included.

Haven't really tested it, but it seems reasonably good.

PekkaNF:
Just upgraded succesfully freebie licences.

Licence key is printed "Software licence certificate" pretty much followed the YouTube video, and now all options are with "official version - never expires" status

That video is really good, then instructions on manual and specially on the licence paper feel really iffy.

This site generated the licence file:
http://licenseen.rigol.com/CustomerService/ProductRight_EN

I downloaded the .lic-file onto root of old USB-memory stick root, ejected it from the laptop and put it into scope front connector. Pop-up screen came up right away and soft button press was all that was needed to change all utility statusses from "trial" to "official".

Great.

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version