Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

craynerd`s X2 belt conversion

<< < (2/6) > >>

raynerd:
Hi Guys

Darren, my 7x12 had no problem with the pully sections - it was turning down the 3" dia. at the shaft end that took forever.

Spud - I turned it down in a similar way you you only I used a parting tool to take it down to deapth and then a forming tool like you made to take down the sides - the parting tool just removed some of the meat in the way.

I think I`m going to continue and I`ll make the small pully to plan - if there is a problem due to the error then I`ll either mill the base plate to stop it rubbing or need be, reproduce the large pully. I`d rather continue to plan rather than adapt the small pully and then come across a different problem.

Today I plan on doing the key way - should we have drilled the hole for the spindle lock earlier only is it not going to be harder to hold in the vice for drilling/milling now with the pullys formed?

Chris

spuddevans:

--- Quote from: craynerd on May 26, 2009, 02:27:45 AM ---Today I plan on doing the key way - should we have drilled the hole for the spindle lock earlier only is it not going to be harder to hold in the vice for drilling/milling now with the pullys formed?

--- End quote ---

Yea, we probably should've drilled/milled that hole first, but maybe grip it in the vice by the turned-down section in Vblocks, with the pulleys hanging outside the edge of the jaws?

Have fun with the key way  :lol:

Tim

spuddevans:

--- Quote from: spuddevans on May 26, 2009, 05:47:48 AM ---Yea, we probably should've drilled/milled that hole first, but maybe grip it in the vice by the turned-down section in Vblocks, with the pulleys hanging outside the edge of the jaws?

--- End quote ---

Hi Chris, after posting the above I went out to the workshop and milled the slot for the spindle lock, you can see pics of my clamping setup for the large pulley in my build-log-thread-thingy. It was easier than I thought, but take your time setting up and clamping to make sure that it is good and solid and square/plumb too.

Tim

raynerd:
Well I have now made further progress - I have used my mill for the first time to produce the slot for the spindle lock and I must say, I was more than pleased with the results. It cut very easily and I used the DRO which was a huge huge help - very impressed and will certainly be purchasing a DRO main display and maybe fitting something to my mini lathe. I have also taken away some of the material to cut the keyway. I tried to setup on the lathe as Tim has done in his post - I just couldn`t get the "shaper" idea to work - the tool keep pushing up against the job rather than taking away any material. I had a look last night and used a file - I think I`m going to just file it out and take my time - with the mill disassembled I`ll keep checking it on the actual spindle.

raynerd:
Further to Johns message over in Tims "belt Conversion" thread - I still don`t see how the key way is going to need a grub screw or even take a grub screw for that matter? - will it simply just tighten up against the key?

I could understand if the key itself in the spindle is removed from the key way and the grub screw is used in replace of the key to lock it all up.  This would also remove the need for making/'shaping this difficult key-way. Would it not be secure enough if the key was removed from the key way and grub screw used to hold the pully in place?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version