Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

craynerd`s X2 belt conversion

(1/6) > >>

raynerd:
Hi Guys

I was going to hijack SpudEvans thread with some problems I was facing with the build of my belt conversion but think I better start my own thread although hope you will jump in with some hints Tim.

The plans I`m following are here: http://www.raynerd.co.uk/wp-content/upLoads/beltdrive11.pdf

Basically I`ve got to the stage of cutting my V grooves for my pullys and I`ve made my first error. Basically the largest V groove is slightly lower than centre with "that section" of the pully, so the top wall of the groove next to the small spindle is a little too thick and obviously the bottom wall is a little thin. It was my error in calculation but rather than start again with the entire piece using my spare blank I have, do you think it will still work. I`m just thinking, the V groove is the correct shape just the band is going to be running on it about 0.02" lower than it should run.

If I was to continue, would you adjust the smaller spindle to match or do you think that the 0.02" will not make a noticable or problematic difference when running?

It is all a learning curve! - and I`m really enjoying it.

Chris

raynerd:
Here is a pic - should help you see what I have done. The gap/wall between the small and large pully is a little large and the the bottom wall a little thin. Consequently the pully will run about 0.02" lower than it should - will this realistically make a difference?

Chris

spuddevans:
Hi Chris, I did something similar on my large pulley but with the smaller of the 2 V sections, I plan on matching the Motor's pulley to have the same spacing from center to center of the V sections.

But I dont think it's going to make a difference even if you didnt match the other pulley. So long as the belt does not rub on the baseplate on yours. If it does the solution might be to mill out a pathway into the baseplate to match where the belt would rub.

By the way, can I ask how you turned the V sections on your pulley?

Tim

Darren:
Interesting, I didn't think a 7x12 would be able to make a plunge cut like that?

Even my larger lathe might object  :bang:

websterz:

--- Quote from: Darren on May 25, 2009, 05:27:29 PM ---Interesting, I didn't think a 7x12 would be able to make a plunge cut like that?

Even my larger lathe might object  :bang:

--- End quote ---

I made my mill pulleys on my 7x12. I cut the narrow dimension by plunging with a parting tool, then finished off with a form tool I ground for the project. It chattered like a squirrel but I was able to clean it up. Actually a little chatter may not be bad...gives the belt something to grab on to.  :dremel:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version