Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Washing Machine Motors

<< < (3/3)

David Jupp:
And with feedback provided to the drive, there are less assumptions about what the motor is doing.  Better control is possible than without feedback.

JHovel:
I would think that these are very useful motors indeed. If you were to buy a low-cost VFD (like a Teco or Huanyang), you would be able to control everything you wanted to in order to use it for a spindle drive with a very wide range of speeds. These washing machines run at very low speed when washing and at high speed when spin-drying.
The sensor is probably too difficult to integrate into the arrangement, but as mentioned, it is less necessary than in a washing machine. There they are used to recognise uneven load distribution and stop the drum at a particular position to let the washing fall into a new more balanced distribution. I've watched our washing machine do that and was amazed at how that was done.
And yes, you can adjust the maximum output voltage on VFDs. See if you can find out the maximum motor current for these motors and you would be able use them for spindle drives of some sort - drill press, lathe, mill etc with very good speed adjustment.

RussellT:
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions.  I did look at the price of an inverter drive and decided that the motors were going to the scrap man.  If anyone is already using a VFD in the workshop these would probably be very useful.

If anyone wants to find a similar motor these were both from Hotpoint washer driers - or I still have two for a few days at least.

Russell

Will_D:

--- Quote from: pycoed on March 28, 2018, 07:02:25 AM ---This bloke's Youtube channel may help?

--- End quote ---

That is a great tutorial on electrical motors in general. Highly recomended. I learned a lot!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version