The Shop > Our Shop

Damp proofing

<< < (2/3) > >>

chipenter:
One thing at a time then waterproof first , iff and when you fit studs put dpm under the sole plate as  belt and braces .

Joules:
John, that slab will take a year or two more to dry out.  Had the same issue when the workshop was built.  Knew the floor wasn’t dry the first year as floor paint flaked up.  Now the floor is very dry and paint stays put.  Run a dehumdifier for a couple of years and keep working bulbs in the machines.  The bulbs just keep the machines above ambient temperature.  That helps keep the damp off them, if you can heat the workshop, all the better.

Even though the inside might appear dry and dusty, it’s all saturated below the surface and this needs to be driven, allowed to come out.   If we have a hot summer, get as much warm air blowing through the workshop as you can.  I used to have the roller door up and side door open to get the heat and air moving through the shop, well for the few minutes the weather was good  :lol:

Joules:
I just visited the pictures of your old TIDY shop... :thumbup:

Take some of those foam models and a heat gun, smear models on wall, hey presto, walls insulated.

:lol:

John Rudd:

--- Quote from: Joules on March 22, 2018, 07:43:52 AM ---I just visited the pictures of your old TIDY shop... :thumbup:

Take some of those foam models and a heat gun, smear models on wall, hey presto, walls insulated.

:lol:

--- End quote ---

You cad!....what a suggestion, how could you?.....lol..l :lol: :lol:

Getting air to move is a great idea, but the up n over door has an adjacent side door....dont think  I'll get much moving....door is at the wrong end.. :Doh:

My first action is to paint the external faces of the walls when the weather becomes warmer....

As its really cold in there ( this is my first winter here..) I'm looking to insulate and use supplementary heating....thinking waste oil or log burner...

Overall, the garage is a lot smaller than the previous one, so I'm looking it extend it too....

Certainly got my work cut out...

beeshed:

--- Quote from: John Rudd on March 22, 2018, 03:34:51 AM ---
All construction conforms to local building regs/NHBC  standards.

--- End quote ---
Designed to  or built to?
Bricks intended for outside walls are different to ones for inside construction so they could easily have used the wrong ones. You should have a ten year NHBC guarantee but the builders may well have done a runner in two so get in asap. Internal bricks absorbing water will decompose in the frost.
You may be able to put a lean to greenhouse on one side and a log store on another then a carport (which does not have to be anywhere near the drive) on another.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version