Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Accuracy of engineers level

<< < (3/4) > >>

philf:

--- Quote from: mattinker on March 22, 2018, 05:05:15 AM ---

I think your missing a 0, I have a Moore and Wright that is 0.03m/metre, 0.3m/metre would be good for an ordinary level!

Regards, Matthew

--- End quote ---

Matthew,

I think you're missing more than the odd 0!  :scratch:

I assume m/metre should be mm/metre?

Phil.

eskoilola:

--- Quote from: philf on March 22, 2018, 10:00:19 AM ---...
I assume m/metre should be mm/metre?

--- End quote ---

Actually making a machinist "Level" that is "Accurate" to 1m/1m would be difficult. Mathematically this is next to impossible but as we are machinists we deliver difficult things right away - miracles take some time....

Spurry:
The standard Starrett levels are shown as 1 division = 0.005"/ft. The Master version is shown as 0.0005"/ft or 0.04mm/m.
I have some of the standard types spare, if anybody needs one.
Pete

mattinker:

--- Quote from: philf on March 22, 2018, 10:00:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: mattinker on March 22, 2018, 05:05:15 AM ---

I think your missing a 0, I have a Moore and Wright that is 0.03m/metre, 0.3m/metre would be good for an ordinary level!

Regards, Matthew

--- End quote ---

Matthew,

I think you're missing more than the odd 0!  :scratch:

I assume m/metre should be mm/metre? Yep, double typo!!

Phil.

--- End quote ---

Cheers, Matthew

eskoilola:
The Wasserwaage arrived!

Today the post delivered the machinist level. This is a 2 kilogram piece of iron. The scraping is still visible on the bottom surface so maybe this has not been used too much. If someone has an estimation what is the age of this thing - this bit of information would be greatly appreciated.

Someone said that these things could be calibrated. In this case that would probably mean breaking the seals on either end. I already tried whether I could get the same reading by turning the thing 180 degrees. The only surface that is stable enough here in my germany apartment is the ceramic stove. By using the chopping board as a rest I could determine that this thing is not too far from being calibrated.

When the device was on the table I could center it by choosing a suitable place to stand. This apartment has wooden floors....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version