Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

Spiral Bevel Gears

<< < (3/6) > >>

AdeV:
I'm no expert in gears but... could you buy 2x sets of matching angle grinder gears, and just use the small (or large, if you've got room) pair? That'd give you 1:1 wouldn't it?

Joules:
LOL if only, the gears aren’t at 45 degrees, so they don’t meet at a right angle.

AdeV:
Bugger, I knew it was too good to be true...

Joules:
The other slight fly in the ointment is that the matching gears need to be a mirror image of each other, so two large flat gears will have opposing spiral directions when brought together.   If you look closely the pinion spiral is going opposite way to the larger wheel.  Tons of subtlety in this gear making malarkey.

Being able to 3D print gears is a great teaching aid, but when it comes to making them... Wow, watch some of the YouTube videos on spiral bevel gear making...  Fascinating.

PK:
 I once owned an indexing head. A mate 'borrowed' it and it ended up on his mill hobbing gears.

Sadly I don't have any pics of it, but we later got Y slaved to X and, with the indexer at an angle, were able to cut helicals. 

You think that the maths bends your head, then you look at the calculations needed to cut just about anything on a manual hobbing machine and realise that this CNC lark isn't so bad..
PK

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version