Gallery, Projects and General > Oooops!

Oops! Remember Water Freezes (JCB803)

<< < (3/3)

awemawson:
Not that I am aware of.

One remote possibility is that it's been sprayed with hydraulic oil. An adjacent oil cooler has a tiny split that occasionally weeps. Spare arrived damaged a couple of weeks ago, has now been replaced by the vendor and is another round tuit

BUT I'd have thought as both are petroleum derivatives hydraulic oil and diesel fuel wouldn't be too much different to the plastic  :scratch:

David Jupp:
It's often when things are too similar to the plastic that you see deterioration.

PekkaNF:
Another thing is that material has been wrong at manufacturer. Some cust cutting excercise, outsourcing, "same" material or whatever could trigger it. I have seen chansaw/lawn mover fuel lines and carburetor membranes work years and then disintegrate for whatever reason. I have seen a "clump" in a carburator bowl, after sored over winter unused. Nowadays there are all sorts of tweakings and additives (both fuel and plastics) and outcome of that lottery is sometimes crack on the plastic fuel line or bowl.

I have seen parts that will go bad in less than a year, then replacemet lasts one or 10 years...go figure. I would call that just a bad luck.

Is'n antofreeze for diesel basically petrol? Not that any sort of antifreese has much use nowadays.

Pekka

David Jupp:

--- Quote from: PekkaNF on May 13, 2018, 10:30:55 AM ---
Is'n antofreeze for diesel basically petrol? Not that any sort of antifreese has much use nowadays.

Pekka

--- End quote ---

Using petrol in diesel to prevent waxing is old hat.  Nowadays there are fancy anti-waxing additives in winter grade diesel - one that I happen to know a little about is a very low molecular weight Etylene Vinyl Acetate copolymer - having slightly different chemistry from the diesel, it disrupts the formation of wax crystals.  There are probably alternative approaches used too.

PekkaNF:

--- Quote from: David Jupp on May 13, 2018, 12:24:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: PekkaNF on May 13, 2018, 10:30:55 AM ---

Pekka

--- End quote ---

Using petrol in diesel to prevent waxing is old hat.  Nowadays there are fancy anti-waxing additives in winter grade diesel - one that I happen to know a little about is a very low molecular weight Etylene Vinyl Acetate copolymer - having slightly different chemistry from the diesel, it disrupts the formation of wax crystals.  There are probably alternative approaches used too.

--- End quote ---

Thank you, that is nice to know.

We have every winter two grades of diesel: Winter and Arctic with filtering temperature of cold and piss cold. Pretty sure oil companies know what they are doing. Then again: Do companies who sell filter bows know what oil companies use?

Here hasn't been any use to use antifreeze on gasoline long time: most fuel contains more than enenoug alcohol to make antifreeze addition redundant and very few cars have carburetors. Situation with diesel is bit more complex, most car makers discourage using any consumer addititives, specially common rail injection models and people who use old tractors from 1920 - 1950 have learned trics that continue to be used.

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version