The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

How do you terminate your coax to BNC?

<< < (4/5) > >>

awemawson:
Back 'when I was a lad' I used to solder old pennies (240 to the £) onto the ends of 3/4" copper plumbing pipe that I'd scooped a section out of in the middle to give access for mounting pi networks etc within. Simple, cheap and robust.

PekkaNF:
Thank you, That is neat. How do you take clean bite out of copper pipe? Hole saw?

Sometimes something is better than perfect, but much too late....

https://e2e.ti.com/support/power_management/simple_switcher/w/simple_switcher_wiki/2243.understanding-measuring-and-reducing-output-voltage-ripple

awemawson:
When I was doing that I was probably 13 or 14. No machine tools, no electric drill. It was all hand tools and a 'brace and bit' carpenters drill and a woodwork vice.

I probably had four or five files at home and  my soldering iron was a copper lump on the gas stove. I did manage to sneak the tube with the pennies already soldered on into the school workshop and turn the pennies down to the tube diameter .

A bit later a friend of my fathers took pity on me and gave me a Henley Solon 25 watt electric iron - sheer luxury  :ddb:

PekkaNF:
That lad! Remember using potato smasher size iron and scavenged componenets from tube radios for my "experiments".

I tried to buy thin tinplate, should be bendy, good looking, does not need painting or anything, conductive and easy to solder grounding wires (snippet-tabbet....on the edge...bend...solder...done). Even found source 500*800 mm nevew shiny straight plates. 0,3 mm thick. Bit pricy (30€ a piece), fine. But they only freigh, which is 40€ and the place is not that far, I could visit, but they have "no visitors" policy. They can stuff it.

But if find other source for thin tin plate, I'll buy it. Used to work a little with tin plate and I think it is pretty nice to work with basic hand tools (alhough miniature sheet metal bender and shear would be nice).

Copper is nice in priciple, but it sinks heat like there is no tomorrow, pretty resilient on drilling...bigger holes needs a punch and looks clapped when it gets old.

Pekka

awemawson:
A good source of reasonably sized bits of tinplate is the drums that cooking oils come in. I mean the large 20 or 25 litres ones delivered to catering establishments for deep fryers.

If you can get them before they are dented they are quite easy to open up and unroll.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version