The Shop > Metal Stuff

Stainless steel welding bench?

<< < (2/2)

Pete.:
Aluminium expands hugely though. Weld a part on an ally top and you might find it pops up in the air as you're welding.

mattinker:

--- Quote from: Pete. on February 10, 2018, 02:28:09 PM ---Aluminium expands hugely though. Weld a part on an ally top and you might find it pops up in the air as you're welding.

--- End quote ---

i suggested Al because I've used it very successfully. I had a piece of 2.5mm ish thick plate on the top of a 80cm x 80cm rotary table, no distortion, remember, it is also a very good conductor of heat. No splatter sticking, no accidental welding to it.

Cheers, Matthew

Will_D:
Some stainless kitchen tables are made from Magnetic SS. This is ideal for a welding bench as you can use magnetic welding helpers!

howsitwork?:
Right it’s a goer then! I have some aluminium sheet so will try that out first though as not welding things to the top is quite appealing ( and says a lot about my (lack of ) welding skills.

I’d never thought of aluminium as surface oxidises so readily so it many thanks for that inspired thought ! :headbang: that’s the great thing about asking for advice on here, you get a breadth of guidance.

Not going to happen soon though as , after club auction last night, there are ba4bains to be “accommodated” before I can actually get into the workshop ! Once I can get in however......

Regards Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version