Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

X2 belt drive conversion

(1/17) > >>

spuddevans:
So I decided to make a start on my X2 mini mill belt-drive conversion. I'm using the popular plans available on the Yahoo mini-mill group, but I'm not sticking rigidly to them.

I plan to make the base and motor bracket out of some 4" wide, 0.5" thick ali.

I started today by taking some 3" ali bar and hacksawing off a 50mm chunk.

Boy were my arms tired, took me about 15mins, I really need to get a bandsaw.

I then chucked it in my 4jaw. This presented me with a potential problem, probably all you experienced machinests knew this already, but when I hacksawed the chunk off and checked both cut ends with a square, and of course the ends were not square. Now normally with smaller chunks of metal I would mount it in the chuck and when tightening up the jaws will get the part squared up parellel to the ways. But with this size of part I am using the jaws reversed and they dont have as much gripping depth and when I chucked it up it did not tighten up into square and parallel.  :scratch:

So this was my crude solution,

2 squares, one mounted on a 3-2-1 block on the ways, and one on the part, adjust it square, rotate 90 degrees and repeat, then re-check on all angles and then finally tighten up, face one side and then I was able to reverse the part and hold it tight up against the jaws, mount the dti and get the part centralised, and then face the other end.

Then it was just straight turning to reduce it down to start forming the Big Pulley as per plans.

It's amazing just how much swarf you can make with this, I got a big boxfull from just this operation.

Next I will be boring out the bore  :lol: and then reversing the part and turning the pulley-shaped-sections, and then on to the smaller pulley for the motor.

One thing I do need help to find is a supplier of the 1/4" V-belts themselves, I've had a bit of a look online with no success, but maybe it'd be better going into a local belts & bearings supplier and getting one there. 

Anyway, that's all I got for today.

Tim

Brass_Machine:

--- Quote ---...

One thing I do need help to find is a supplier of the 1/4" V-belts themselves, I've had a bit of a look online with no success, but maybe it'd be better going into a local belts & bearings supplier and getting one there. 

--- End quote ---

If you don't have any luck, let me know. Mcmaster carr is 10 min from me. I can get em and ship them to you.

Eric

Darren:
My local motor factors in the UK seem to stock every size I have ever asked for over the years. They are stored by type and length there unlike Halfords which you need to specify which car you want it for.

Bernd:

--- Quote from: spuddevans on May 22, 2009, 02:32:55 PM ---So this was my crude solution,

Tim

--- End quote ---

Tim,

Nothing crude about the way you solve a problem. Most ingenious way to do it.

Good luck with the rest of the project.

Bernd

Edited to add: Now that I've studied the pics a bit more I see that it really won't matter if it wasn't perfectly square since you will be turning the surface down quite a bit.

CrewCab:
Nice start Tim  :thumbup:

The belt for my conversion is a Gates Truflex 0130 (interchanges with a 2L130), don't know if yours will use the the same.  The size is 1/4" x 13" (6mm x 330mm) though I found it hard to source them here, in the States they are readily available so Brass Machine shipped me some over.

Looking forward to following your build.

CC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version