Gallery, Projects and General > How to's

Grinding the jaws on my three jaw chuck

<< < (7/7)

AdeV:

--- Quote from: awemawson on August 13, 2018, 03:33:38 PM ---Surely with your Chinese connections you can source a suitably sized chuck at a very modest price  :scratch:

--- End quote ---

The problem isn't sourcing the chuck - you're right, I could probably find a corner shop in Zhengzhou which sold them (I'm not joking either - you get the strangest shops out there... one of them sold compressors and electrical switchgear - and nothing else! :scratch: Literally 2 minutes walk from my wife's apartment is a small estate full of such shops, and it's all cheap as chips (compared to UK prices).  However, I didn't see any machine tool type shops, I suspect they're further out of town - or quite possibly in another town entirely.

The problem, as usual, is how to get a rather big lump of heavy metal back to the UK? Put it in a suitcase and it's bound to set off all kinds of alarms - and will probably use my entire luggage weight allowance, and I doubt I could sneak it through customs either! Which brings us to postage, which is where anything from China loses a big chunk of it's value-for-money, sadly.

PS: There's always the "leave your clothes behind..." approach  :lol: i.e. take a small suitcase with enough clothes to wear out there, then abandon them in favour of a chuck... unfortunately I can't easily buy clothes out there, I'm way bigger than most Chinese people, they just don't stock clothes in my size!

awemawson:
Ade, how do all the Chinese eBay sellers manage to offer such low (or even included) postage on items? I can't remember where I heard it, but I did hear tell that the Chinese Government subsidise such transactions, but I don't know if that is apocryphal or not?

Pete.:
Is this what you're on about Andrew?

http://fortune.com/2015/03/11/united-nations-subsidy-chinese-shipping/

awemawson:
Thanks Pete

That wasn't the source I saw, but it explains a lot!

AdeV:
Yep, that's the reason for the very cheap postage on small packages; however, by the time you get to the bigger stuff (like an 8" chuck, for example), most domestic mail organisations won't deliver things that heavy, so they have to go through couriers... who, naturally, charge a "real" price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version