Gallery, Projects and General > Scraping

DIY Electric scraper

(1/3) > >>

Graham Stabler:
I started looking in to this and then saw a not so well advertised unit on Ebay and won it for just under £200 quid, it's one of the older blue cylindrical types with some blades although mostly big flat ones.

But I will share what I found and my ideas because who knows how long it will last and it's all good fun anyway.

What's inside a Biax:
Biax 7EL assembly/repair:

For some pictures of the assembly.

And here is the patent for the variable stroke drive: https://patents.google.com/patent/US2940324A/en

It's a relatively simple mechanism, the adjustment changes the angle of bearing with respect to the axis and a connecting rod with bearings couples this to the output which is constrained suitably with a linear bearing or way.

Fundamentally you need a motor, gearbox and this mechanism.

Inspired by this angle drill which is clearly an add on:Makita angle drill

I suggest a geared drill with metal body, remove the chuck and clamp scraping doodad where the handle normally goes. Something like:

Makita rotary drill

It has a max rpm of 1200 which is lower than a biax but OK I think and the weight leaves some overhead for the mechanism, ergonomics might not be ideal but not sure. I imagine a DIYer could live with it or get the saw out.

Cheers,

Graham

Joules:
Or build it just like a shaper bull wheel, perhaps using a cross shaft with right and left hand threads so you can wind a counterbalance out with the stroke adjuster.

Peter Cordell:
I did see a post some time back about converting a sawzall I bought reciprocating saw just not had time to try and mod it

Graham Stabler:

The nice thing about Biax's invention is that it is compact in length and everything that moves has a bearing, no rubbing scotch yokes etc. Mini-shaper is OK but ends up being longer I think, also needs that direction change, so bevel gears or an angle drill.

There are some converted saw videos on Youtube. They seem to work.

I'd rather come up with a design that can be modified and fitted onto the rotary power source of the builders choice.

Cheers,

Graham

Joules:
Why not go the whole hog and make it pneumatic.  Adjustable end stops, one moving part other than valve components.  You could almost build it into a hand scraper sized device.  The engraving world has had these devices for years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version