Gallery, Projects and General > Scraping

Turcite from the far east

<< < (3/6) > >>

j1312v:

100mmx1.5 @ £195.94 per m    :jaw:  ... I know they add way more more that 100%  to everything they resale, so take they prices as the most expensive option.
Hopefully Graham's supplier is not so expensive that will allow us to buy the real deal within the uk, otherwise better keep an eye on Hugh's far east "Turcite".

B

Biggles:
Double jaw drop B!  :jaw:

JHovel:
Wait till you see the price for the proper epoxy for PTFE materials! They REALLY sting the hip pocket....

HughF:
The fake-a-cite has arrived, and apart from the included free gifts, appears to be half-way-decent. It looks like it has bronze in and has a side that is etched for taking glue.

If anybody wants an off-cut from this roll just PM me, I don't actually have anything I need to stick it onto yet.

PekkaNF:
That looks pretty convincing...

I would love to try out a piece of the material, but mailing it to Finland would be excessive to you.

Did you got any mechanical properites. If not, can you test/measure/qualify the material any ways?

1: Do you have any instructions how to glue it? Can you test to glue a little piece of to steel with epoxy and report if it sticks and when you remove it where it delaminates?

2: How hard does it appears?

3: How much friction it appears to have under load? Does oil lubrication make it slide better?

4: Cold flow? Can you cut a stamp size piece, measure linear dimensions and thickness, put it under a load for few days and measure again? Pure teflon creeps like there is no tomorrow, fillers increase friction, but make it more resistant to cold flow.

Am I talking the same language? Mechanical properties p. 5 for pure teflon.
http://www.rjchase.com/ptfe_handbook.pdf

Pure teflon is pretty much unsuited for our purposes. It does not glue well, proverbial to use as a filler, cold flow, poor mechanical properties. Therefore there must be whole lot of fillers and other materials that define it's mechanical properties.

No need to make a science of it, just a quick test.

Like cold flow. The table says (for pure teflon): Deformation Under Load, 23 °C granular 2% with 6.9 MPa (1000 psi). Epoxy matrix should make it much more resistant.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/pressure.htm
6.9 megapascal = 0.703 604 186 95 kilogram-force/square millimeter
6.9 megapascal = 70.360 418 695 kilogram-force/square centimeter
So, I would take any convenient weight estimate back the size of sample and see how much it sqashes under load.

I have a lathe that could benefit from this material. This lathe has generous surface area between ways and saddle I'm imagining that if it does not greep under 10 kg/cm2 load and it can take short time 70kg/cm2 load it will be ok. But if it cold flows while just staying there or under load it would not only be waste of time, but pretty hard to fix afterwards with 1-2 mm of materila missing from the saddle.

What I am thinking is what would be appropriate thickness. I'm thinking of 0,5 or 1,0 mm if is pretty hard and very flat I.E does not need machining to make it fit after glueing. Bit thicker than that if it needs grinding or such. Then again it might have sufficient amount of cold flow to compensate in most of the cases.

Pekka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version