The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Static phase converters

<< < (2/3) > >>

vintageandclassicrepairs:
Hi
With the Transwave You need to make sure that the "real" phases are used for the control circuit
They recommend adding a pilot motor to "improve" the phase voltage balance.

Recently I bought a Harrison 165 that came with a Transwave converter
The lathe motor is 3hp but only suitable for 380/420 volts. Its Delta connected for this voltage so cannot easily be run from the usual 240v inverter setup that I intended to use  :bang:
When running on the Transwave the motor did not sound or run smoothly though :(
Motor bearings are good and it spins smoothly, I played about with capacitors and varying the voltage settings on the converter without much sucess

Long story short I have swopped motors to a 3hp single phase that I had going spare
I am intending to put up a thread up on the various aspects of recommissioning and a few mods on the Harrison when I get it back together

John

martin33100:

--- Quote from: vintageandclassicrepairs on December 18, 2017, 04:58:19 PM ---Hi
With the Transwave You need to make sure that the "real" phases are used for the control circuit
They recommend adding a pilot motor to "improve" the phase voltage balance.

Recently I bought a Harrison 165 that came with a Transwave converter
The lathe motor is 3hp but only suitable for 380/420 volts. Its Delta connected for this voltage so cannot easily be run from the usual 240v inverter setup that I intended to use  :bang:
When running on the Transwave the motor did not sound or run smoothly though :(
Motor bearings are good and it spins smoothly, I played about with capacitors and varying the voltage settings on the converter without much sucess

Long story short I have swopped motors to a 3hp single phase that I had going spare
I am intending to put up a thread up on the various aspects of recommissioning and a few mods on the Harrison when I get it back together

John

--- End quote ---
The guy that sold me the M300 ran it on a Transwave converter but it was the rotary type.

philf:

--- Quote from: vintageandclassicrepairs on December 18, 2017, 04:58:19 PM ---.....

The lathe motor is 3hp but only suitable for 380/420 volts. Its Delta connected for this voltage so cannot easily be run from the usual 240v inverter setup that I intended to use......

--- End quote ---

Are you sure it's Delta connected and not Star? Delta is for 240v!

Phil.

martin33100:
I had a chat with the guys today that make the Transwave converters, they said a rotary type converter around 5-7hp would atleast future proof my workshop if I get an other 3 phase kit.
Somewhen I do want a larger compressor to keep up with die grinders etc so that may well be 3 phase as well.

vintageandclassicrepairs:
Hi Phil,
Yes I'm sure of the motors connections, it is different to the "usual" 380/220v dual voltage configuration
The plate on it shows 380-420v only and is Delta connected with each phase connected to two internal winding ends,
Way back when! there was a 550/600 volt system used in Industry, maybe it could have been star connected for the higher voltage  :scratch:

Martin and All,
With the Transwave static converter the motor is started by applying line voltage across two phase connections and capacitors connected from one phase to the third phase connection
(same principal as a single phase capacitor run motor)
The magnetised  rotor spinning within three 120 degree mechanically spaced windings generates the third phase
That is how a rotary converter works, the pilot motor acts as a generator ( a 2850rpm motor is preferable for this but not essential)

To be honest I was disappointed with the performance of the Transwave that came with my lathe
The phase voltages were very high, getting over 500v depending on the switch setting
The motor buzzed and growled and drew high current on no load
It tested out ok with my motor tester, inductance and resistance wise

I spent almost 30 years working on power generation and associated electrical plant so am fairly confident of my abilities (electric motor wise) :zap:  :lol:

The PITA situation is that there's a 3 phase transformer on my boundary fence
But the capital and running costs of installing 3phase is unrealistic :bang:

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version