The Shop > Wood & Stuff

Planer Accurate Depth of Cut

<< < (2/3) > >>

velocette:

--- Quote from: ZebraDriver on November 30, 2017, 01:58:14 PM ---Eric. Nice set up, a couple of wee comments for you to consider:-

If you mount the DTI vertically with the reader tip running against a horizontal block the reading will be direct rather than your 5mm for each 3mm Also I see you seem have two DTIs fitted, the outfeed table should be fixed at the height of the blades, if you don't have it set at blade height you will start planning curves.

Martin

--- End quote ---

Fair comment Martin Yes  Two DTI's fitted However I posted pictures of Two different machines and failed to make comment. Look closer and one is mounted on a Black Frame the other on a Grey Frame.
To read directly the anvil for the DTI MUST  be parallel to the in feed table and have a polished surface
The Blades to the  out feed table is set up with a special jig to Plus or minus 0.05 mm of the blades at TDC so planing curves is NOT a problem.
The black frame was a recondition job and on sold the grey one is bolted to the side of my saw bench

Eric

velocette:
 :headbang:
Hi
Took your comment on board Martin and mounted DTI to measure vertical on a sliding block so much simpler  :doh:

Eric

howsitwork?:
Good ideas there. The real fun comes when you start changing or sharpening the blades off the machine then need to remount. The magnetic jigs make it a bit easier but still an awkward little job.

Ian

ZebraDriver:
Be careful when your changing blades.  I was recently sent to a job where the operator had failed to tighten one blade properly on a 12" Smith planer.  It had managed to get up to full speed before the blade slid out.  The blade shattered sending shrapnel everywhere but as it did it snapped the end 4" off the infeed table and managed to pull the mounts for the cutter block hard enough to tear them out of the casting below it!!. The operator who was standing next to it, luckily, didn't have a mark on him but I guess he had to go home to change his underwear.

Martin

awemawson:
Odd . . . most planers have a wedge shaped slot, narrow bit to the outside, and the clamps are naturally also wedge shaped, so as they and the blades tend to fly out with centrifugal force the grip tightens.  :scratch:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version