Author Topic: Greetings from Hertfordshire  (Read 7684 times)

Offline pat_pending

Greetings from Hertfordshire
« on: November 14, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »
Hi and thanks for having me in your forum!

To introduce myself, I’m Patrick and I have a making addiction. Everything from rockets to robots, Gin to go-karts...even some electronics and Software in there too.

Thanks to forums including yours, I’ve taught myself metalwork over the past 4years and have managed to make some steam/air engines that run (Elmers 25 and H-twin), some that don’t (Jan Ridders flame-eater) and a Webster I/C which is almost ready to share!! Eying up a 2-stroke Diesel such as a Boll-Aero as my next project.

My workshop is  mainly Chinese (SC6 and Sieg SX3 Converted to CNC with a converted vertex rotary table) but eying up American and English heavy metal for when I win the lottery (soon, I can feel it!).

Anyway, really looking forward to contributing and being amongst likeminded obsessives.

Patrick

Offline charadam

Re: Greetings from Hertfordshire
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 01:40:57 PM »
That is one of the best usernames I have encountered!

Welcome.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:49:34 PM »
Hi Patrick

Welcome to the collective :borg:

All good stuff... Except for the Gin, I have plans for those in the works. Would like to see some of your stuff.

... Everything from rockets to robots, Gin to go-karts...even some electronics and Software in there too.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline pat_pending

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:44:11 AM »
Hi Patrick

Welcome to the collective :borg:

All good stuff... Except for the Gin, I have plans for those in the works. Would like to see some of your stuff.

... Everything from rockets to robots, Gin to go-karts...even some electronics and Software in there too.

thanks Eric (the Gin is not that bad honestly  :beer:) . I will post pics as soon as i figure out how.

Sorry for the noob question but what is the best place on the forum to share completed projects and build logs?

Patrick

Eric

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
Welcome aboard Patrick!  :borg: IMHO this is one of, if not the best, machining forums available, these guys have taught me pretty much everything I know (and the mistakes I make, are from not asking...)

Re where to put stuff: Gallery is the best board for stuff you've already made; ongoing/new build logs in Project Logs.

:thumbup:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 03:01:01 PM »
Someone has been watching “wacky races” , apart from me that is, in their youth! Like the user name.

Welcome to the nut house 🏡

Ian

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 04:34:37 PM »
hi and welcome

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 08:56:33 PM »
thanks Eric (the Gin is not that bad honestly  :beer:) . I will post pics as soon as i figure out how.

Sorry for the noob question but what is the best place on the forum to share completed projects and build logs?

Patrick

Eric

Ade beat me to it...

I like Gin, just no plans to attempting making it. Though, I have most of the stuff to start brewing Meade! Just need more hours in the day...
Science is fun.

Offline pat_pending

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »
hah, don't get me started!! not enough hours in the day!!!

To get all the noob questions out of the way: i have projects for which I have made a photo journal of the build but not written up yet, where would you recommend they go? I understand the Gallery is for finished masterpieces and the Project Logs are for ongoing stuff. Where would you post an 'after-build log'?

My Webster falls into this category. Running, almost finished but plan to make a Jan Ridders vapour carburetor and electronic ignition to finish off.

Thanks,
Patrick

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 12:06:24 PM »
hah, don't get me started!! not enough hours in the day!!!

To get all the noob questions out of the way: i have projects for which I have made a photo journal of the build but not written up yet, where would you recommend they go? I understand the Gallery is for finished masterpieces and the Project Logs are for ongoing stuff. Where would you post an 'after-build log'?

My Webster falls into this category. Running, almost finished but plan to make a Jan Ridders vapour carburetor and electronic ignition to finish off.

Thanks,
Patrick

Gallery is fine for an after build log
Science is fun.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 01:27:09 PM »

Hi Patrick

Welcome to the forum, we look forward to seeing the projects you have completed.

Cheers David

Offline Biggles

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 04:05:02 AM »
Hi and Welcome Patrick: my gin was mostly taken by angels as I never made sufficient to fill a bottle. PS. Always take mid-stream to avoid the methanol. :beer:

Offline pat_pending

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 08:15:46 AM »
And the last newbie question before I get stuck in to writing some content.....

whats the most forum-friendly way to attach pictures? Links to google docs or Photobucket? Or attached to the post. I know there is a FAQ on photo bucket but think thats probably a bit old. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks, P

Offline mattinker

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 10:26:28 AM »
And the last newbie question before I get stuck in to writing some content.....

whats the most forum-friendly way to attach pictures? Links to google docs or Photobucket? Or attached to the post. I know there is a FAQ on photo bucket but think thats probably a bit old. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks, P

Attach to the post , which has the disadvantage of not being able to anote each image individualy, BUT photos will allways be available! Photobucket is definately not a good idea!

happy modding! Matthew