The Shop > Tools

Indian (asian} lathe.

<< < (2/2)

Fergus OMore:

Forgive my natural curiosity but I am wondering what the saving/benefit is from acquiring  an Indian lathe to say the equivalent old British lathe?

Regards
N

In caelum indicum primus

bigman1:
I had originally been aiming at the Chinese market but prices have risen quite a lot,plus the range of speeds and feeds etc.on Chinese machines compared to british ones is poor.I will give an example I have an Atlas clone (Sphere) 10"swing with 16 speeds from 29 rpm to 2000.plus it will screw from 4 tpi up.To get such a selection on Chinese machine you have to go way up the size scale.The range on the Indian machines is remarkable to get a lathe from old school flat belt to top range cnc ,who else does that?
I have considered a British lathe that will pass at least 2" through the spindle but all the bargains i have seen are in England,i am based in Scotland,so the haulage distance is considerable.A new Asian lathe would be picked up at Grangemouth docks about 40 miles away.Kind thanks to all for the replies.Ronnie.

Mike E.:
Google Nobilla Machine Tools Ltd. in the UK. They rebuild industrial lathes, and are possibly a good source for what you require.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version