Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Camlock chucks

<< < (7/7)

AdeV:

--- Quote from: RotarySMP on November 03, 2017, 06:00:46 AM ---I guess this is one of those cases where there is a wide space between industrial manufactured and hardened to last 2 shifts a day for 20 years, or home shop, where we moght only use it on average 1 hour/week.

--- End quote ---

...plus, how often will I be changing chucks? Not _that_ often, certainly not compared to an industrial setting.

--- Quote from: RotarySMP on November 03, 2017, 06:00:46 AM ---I realise my posts sounded discouraging. Sorry for that.

--- End quote ---

No problem. I am infamous for not taking advice  :) In fact, the more they say it can't be done, the more I want to prove them wrong  :loco: Doesn't always work...  :zap:

--- Quote from: RotarySMP on November 03, 2017, 06:00:46 AM ---I think it is a cool idea. I took a hard look at doing the same for my Boley 4LV, but the D1-3 just doesn't leave enough space for the cam pins once you put the spindle thread through it, and D1-4 would be too big.

Please post lot of photos.

--- End quote ---

Will do  :thumbup: Don't hold your breath though, it'll be a while before I get a piece of metal big enough to do the job!

--- Quote from: mattinker on November 03, 2017, 06:14:27 AM ---I realise that you've decided to have "quick change chucks", but, as somebody who owns the same type of lathe, I really don't see the point as three nuts isn't that big a deal!

--- End quote ---

I get what you're saying, but it's still a pain in the arse. Dunno about your chuck, but the studs on the back of mine are all so long I can't put the chuck in place & then bolt it up; I have to hang it off the studs, put the nuts on & do them up a bit, move the chuck on a bit more... takes about 3 goes to get the nuts completely on. Same to take them off. So, in general, I've just left the 3-jaw on there all the time & worked around its shortcomings as best I can.

However... having made that collet chuck, I can see me using that _a lot_. Or, if I make a Camlock "spindle nose", maybe I'll buy a proper collet chuck... complete with collet closer and all the shenanigans. Since I have to take the 3-jaw off to use the collet chuck as is, that's definitely a factor. And maybe if I can change chucks quickly, I'll be tempted to use the 4-jaw more often.

Finally - as I said at the top of this thread, all (and I mean ALL) of my chucks are old and knackered. So at some point, it's time for some shiny new ones.... which, hopefully, are a bit more parallel than the ones I've got now!

mattinker:

--- Quote from: AdeV on November 03, 2017, 11:01:00 AM ---...plus, how often will I be changing chucks? Not _that_ often, certainly not compared to an industrial setting.

--- Quote from: RotarySMP on November 03, 2017, 06:00:46 AM ---

No problem. I am infamous for not taking advice  :) In fact, the more they say it can't be done, the more I want to prove them wrong  :loco: Doesn't always work...  :zap:

--- End quote ---

I get what you're saying, but it's still a pain in the arse. Dunno about your chuck, but the studs on the back of mine are all so long I can't put the chuck in place & then bolt it up; I have to hang it off the studs, put the nuts on & do them up a bit, move the chuck on a bit more... takes about 3 goes to get the nuts completely on. Same to take them off. So, in general, I've just left the 3-jaw on there all the time & worked around its shortcomings as best I can.

However... having made that collet chuck, I can see me using that _a lot_. Or, if I make a Camlock "spindle nose", maybe I'll buy a proper collet chuck... complete with collet closer and all the shenanigans. Since I have to take the 3-jaw off to use the collet chuck as is, that's definitely a factor. And maybe if I can change chucks quickly, I'll be tempted to use the 4-jaw more often.

Finally - as I said at the top of this thread, all (and I mean ALL) of my chucks are old and knackered. So at some point, it's time for some shiny new ones.... which, hopefully, are a bit more parallel than the ones I've got now!

--- End quote ---

You will have to buy a new chuck, if you only buy one, make it a nice four jaw to start with! The three jaw that I have has 1/2"Whitworth (21mm) studs, the nuts are less than half the gap between the flange and the head stock, cut them down so that you can fit it without frustration! the wooden block to support the chuck means that your not holding it up in the air! between the wooden block and the shorte studs, you will find it is as easy to change as a cam lock!

mattinker:

--- Quote from: mattinker on November 03, 2017, 11:11:47 AM ---
--- Quote from: AdeV on November 03, 2017, 11:01:00 AM ---...plus, how often will I be changing chucks? Not _that_ often, certainly not compared to an industrial setting.

--- Quote from: RotarySMP on November 03, 2017, 06:00:46 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

You will have to buy a new chuck, if you only buy one, make it a nice four jaw to start with! The three jaw that I have has 1/2"Whitworth (21mm spanner) studs, the nuts are less than half the gap between the flange and the head stock, cut them down so that you can fit it without frustration! the wooden block to support the chuck means that your not holding it up in the air! between the wooden block and the shorter studs, you will find it is as easy to change as a cam lock!

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version