Author Topic: Anyone got a 5/8" 24TPI die ?  (Read 12506 times)

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
Anyone got a 5/8" 24TPI die ?
« on: August 10, 2010, 01:42:14 PM »
Hi all

After a bit of a favour here  ::)   

I've managed to mangle the thread on the adjusting screw for my boring head, doesn't look too bad and think I should be Ok if I just run it through a die. Problem is that it's a 5/8" TPI thread and I don't have a suitable die, had a quick look on t'internet and prices even second hand are a bit steep especially when it's something I'm only ever likely to need once and will cost more than the part it will be fixing !

So does anyone have a die I could borrow :)  Obviously I'd cover postage costs etc and happy to put up a deposit and it should only take me seconds to run the part through so you'd only be without it for a day or two. If you're able to help please drop me a PM

Many Thanks

Jim

Offline 75Plus

Re: Anyone got a 5/8" 24TPI die ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 03:29:46 PM »
Sorry I'm on the wrong side of the pond. I have a set, tap and die, in 5/8 X 24. I have had them for over 25 years and I think I paid about $20 US for them and they were made in the USA.

Would a 5/8-24 heat treated nut help? I can make you one and ship it for under $5 US.

Joe
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 05:28:18 PM by 75Plus »

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 04:39:01 PM »
I've managed to mangle the thread on the adjusting screw for my boring head, doesn't look too bad and think I should be Ok if I just run it through a die. Problem is that it's a 5/8" TPI thread and I don't have a suitable die, had a quick look on t'internet and prices even second hand are a bit steep especially when it's something I'm only ever likely to need once and will cost more than the part it will be fixing !

5/8-24 (.6250-24UNEF) is a fairly standard die.  Enco has one for under US$10 (314-1450) and I believe they get a reasonably good deal on shipping across the pond.  I just (as in two hours ago) shipped off a 1 lb package to Germany on 7-10 day delivery.  It ran me a bit more than US$35.  I would suspect that Enco could get it to you for much less than that total.  ???

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 05:49:35 PM »
Lew, Enco number 314-1450 is a five sixteenths tap. The number for a 5/8-24 is 314-1866 and it sells for just under 20 dollars.

Joe

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 06:07:11 PM »
Jim,
You sure it's 24 tpi? that a funny number to be divisable for a dial to fit.

Tracy tools has them for £12.

http://www.tracytools.com/tapsanddiesspecials.htm

But a better bet would be to buy one of these.

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Thread_Restoring_Files.html

For just under a tenner you will have a tool that lasts you a lifetime and is a real get you out the shït tool, basically 8 pitches any any size. Also ideal for cleaning a freshly screwcut thread to clean up the crests and roots.

John Stevenson

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 07:25:06 PM »
Those look like useful files, John. Better than my emergency resuscitation treatment - slowly revolving the offending bolt or whatever in the chuck, carefully eyeballing a triangular needle file to match the lead angle of the thread, and allowing the file to run along under gentle pressure. You can soon feel the snags in the thread - the file catches on them. Crude, but pretty effective, except on Whit and BA threads.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 01:10:25 AM »
Lew, Enco number 314-1450 is a five sixteenths tap. The number for a 5/8-24 is 314-1866 and it sells for just under 20 dollars.

Joe is correct.  I was looking at the wrong column.

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 03:29:10 AM »
Thanks for all the responses,

John, the Tracy Tools price is very good for that die, everything else I saw was £30+,  however think I'll go with your suggestion of a thread restoring file - I didn't know these thing even existed but they look a useful tool to add to the arsenal. (I'll double check the TPI before I order though !)

Joe - many thanks for the offer but hopefully John's solution will sort me out

Thanks again to all

Cheers

Jim

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 08:44:25 AM »
Jim,

John's comment makes me wonder if the thread might be M16-1. That is very close to a 5/8-24 imperial thread. :med:

Joe

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 11:56:07 AM »
Jim,

John's comment makes me wonder if the thread might be M16-1. That is very close to a 5/8-24 imperial thread.

Joe
Joe, What are the divisions for one revolution of your boring head's adjustment?  If it is a single lead screw, that is the pitch of your thread.  If it measures in inches, then the inverse of that is the TPI for the screw.  If it measures in mm, then you have the pitch.

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 01:57:46 AM »
Hi

The boring bar is stamped as having a range of 10-140mm which would suggest a metric thread but the adjusting screw has 40 divisions which seemed more likely to be imperial (40thou = 1mm)

Having had another look at it I think Joe may be right at M16-1, it's pretty hard to tell though as the thread length is so short and both size of thread gauge appear to fit nicely !

Jim

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 11:16:05 AM »
The boring bar is stamped as having a range of 10-140mm which would suggest a metric thread but the adjusting screw has 40 divisions which seemed more likely to be imperial (40thou = 1mm)
Then it is almost certainly a 1 mm pitch screw.  1 mm = .03937 inches -- an error that can catch you badly with Chinese ".040 inches/turn" dials.  Ten turns gives you .0063 of error (which is seriously significant in most of my work).

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 06:01:40 PM »
Hi All
I will add my 2p worth having the Other hobby of amateur radio that this thread 5 eighths x 24 TPI UNEF is the thread used on the popular PL259/SO239 series of antenna connectors i thought i would add this as a snippet of further information.

Cheers Paul
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:03:16 PM by SKIPRAT »
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 09:33:47 PM »
Hi All
I will add my 2p worth having the Other hobby of amateur radio that this thread 5 eighths x 24 TPI UNEF is the thread used on the popular PL259/SO239 series of antenna connectors i thought i would add this as a snippet of further information.

Cheers Paul

Paul,

A few years ago I purchased a bag of silver plated PL 259 connectors. For some reason they just did not seem to fit properly. The were made in Japan and turned out to be M16-1 instead of 5/8-24. That is one reason I suggested the possibility of that thread in my earlier post.

Joe NØFNF

Offline ven

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 04:34:17 PM »
Not much help at the moment perhaps, but thread restoring files are worth having for such an emergency.  I have a Whitworth one and a metric one.  Each of them is about about 10" long and 1/2" square and double ended, with a different thread on each face so I have eight different tpi/mm on each.
Any 24 tpi tap could somehow be 'heavily stroked' on the bad thread to clear the bruises, but a gentle doctoring with a needle file and using a headband magnifier would be best.