The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Myford ML10 Speed 10 Full Manual Needed for a nonexistent lathe

<< < (2/2)

Fergus OMore:
I'm not particularly interested in  the 3B's ( Bullshit Baffles Brains)but I'm sitting with a toy ML10 next to my computer.
Frankly. the so called manual isn't much use to a restorer as it is appallingly limited in information and  the similarly limited Spare parts list  which came out of the original firm prior to liquidation.

My supposition suggests that you are tackling a 'clone' made abroad somewhere 'foreign'. Whether your pooly friend's machine is an identical copy seems a matter of conjecture and the only solution is to forget  that it ever was  a Myford and restore it to being a lathe with a lot of potential left.   

Thus you CAN buy new gears and probably the feed screws and a few bits and pieces but the rest  of actual ML10 spares and replacements will have to come out the second-hand market where lathe reconditioning is no longer a viable proposition.

There are many imponderables which only you can answer. Many of the Myford dimensions appear in such books as Jack Radford's and George Thomas's. Originally they appeared in Model Engineer and are now in book form- at a cost.

OK, I have a ML10 with MOST of the accessories and bought on an old man's whim to compliment and complement my existing Super7B

After all, ALL the Myfords are old and the ML10 is a sort of transitional machine built at low cost  coming between the old pre-war and wartime ML's1, 2 3 and 4 and the more expensive ML7.

My views but others may have different ones.

Norman Atkinson

russ57:

--- Quote from: 69CamaroZNut on October 05, 2017, 01:24:44 PM ---
Evaporust is a one time use product. Apple cider vinegar can be filtered using coffee filter liners in a funnel and you can recycle it is many times as you like.

John

--- End quote ---

Not  in my experience. No smell, keep on reusing until it is completely black and doesn't work any more. I'm sure vinegar would eventually be exhausted as well.
Agree vinegar is cheaper!

-russ

69CamaroZNut:
Some progress on clean up, painting and partial assembly

Fergus OMore:
From the added photos, it would appear to be a version of the Myford Speed 10 rather than mine which has plain bearings of cast iron.

My additional information( such as it is) is in French but my '10' has been extensively modified by the previous owner(s) and the feed dials bear no relation to the ones fitted in both sets of information.

Looking at the lathe, it obviously never was capable of Screwcutting left hand threads but I have to re-fabricate the left hand tumbler arrangement.

Of course, I don't know what your intentions are with your 'variant'

Norm

69CamaroZNut:
Fergus OMore,

Post a picture of yours.

I just received a manual for a JET-619PY  & 613Y models from a person in Taiwan yesterday.
Its not a complete manual, page 5 is missing and he said the section on repair Page 40-60 are missing too.  Its better then what I started with.
I tried to attach it but I guess that is not allowed.

I've thought of a reverse tumbler and even looked at Graham Meek Dog Clutch design.

http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Meek_screwcutting_clutch.html

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version